Chapter 06

Skylar did not know how she had coped with Reese's constant nagging about how perfect her Jakeyy was. She had been rolling her eyes almost every minute, and she was actually amazed with herself as she realized that she had already spent two weeks digesting her trouble.

"Not again Reree," Skylar pleaded as Reese opened her mouth to water Skylar's ears with the latest topic that revolved around Jacob. Reese rolled her eyes and tied her hands around her chest, turning to the other side, indicating that she was mad with Skylar.

Skylar, who was reading the textbook for fun, did not notice Reese. Only after it was half an hour of pointed silence, she wondered how did her ear feel an uncommon silence that was new to her whenever she was with Reese. Surprised, she turned towards her, and saw that she was still sitting crossed leg, her head staring at the opposite side. Skylar was surprised. She wondered what had happened between them.

"Reree," she asked softly, touching her shoulder when she jerked her hand away. Skylar did not like this new behavior at all. "Are you alright Ree?" she asked softly when she turned behind and started shouting about how cruel and how bad Skylar was treating her. Sighing as she realized that all of this had been because she had not paid attention to her banter about Jacob, Skylar smiled inwardly but maintained a straight and very sad face as though she was actually feeling bad about how she had treated Reese.

After a long hour of ripping Skylar's head off, Reese sat down panting for breath. Skylar extended her bottle of water to Reese as she looked venomously at her and pulled it from her hand. She gulped down half the bottle and at last Skylar knew that she was safe to talk.

"I am so sorry Reree," she said, her eyes downcast in shame. "I know I am a horrible friend." she added for safety measures as Reese looked at her from the corner of her eye.

"You don't have to act too innocently, Sky." she said dangerously as Skylar grinned sheepishly at her and put her arms around her neck tightening her grip. Reese gently patted her arm as Skylar talked to her shoulder.

"It is not that I don't like to listen to you or I am not interested in your life Ree," she said softly. "The problem is that, nowadays, since Eddie and Jake have returned, you seem to talk about Jake only and don't even bother to turn to look at me." she finished as a tear pregnant with sadness rooted down her cheek.

Reese felt guilty of what she had revealed. "I am sorry too, Sky." Skylar shook her head no as Reese added, "I'll change. I promise." and Skylar beamed happily. The two friends were never able to stay mad at each other for longer than an hour, and Skylar did not know how she would cope if Reese did not want to be friends with her anymore. She was, by definition, the life and soul of her.

Their friendship started in a beautiful way and their long journey with each other had made them bonded for each other so well, that it was hard for either one of them, to live without the other. If there was one person whom Skylar loved as much as she loved her father, it was Reese. Sometimes, when Skylar was having one of those hard days where she faces unexpected surprises, and even some horrible nightmares, without knowing that she was actually helping Skylar, Reese had always soothed her racing heart by her numerous jokes and inline sarcastic comments about anyone to everyone.

After the school had ended for the day, Skylar stood beside the school's gate, waiting for Reese who had gone to meet Jacob. As the clock started to tick slowly, Skylar felt a sudden rush of wind rustle by her feet and she looked up, as she felt a presence come to a halt beside her.

"Hi," Skylar looked up at the handsome face as Ed greeted her.

"Oh," Skylar said, surprised, looking at him standing beside her. "And yeah, hi." she added quickly, realizing that she was starting to sound rude. Ed smiled at her when Skylar scolded herself, wondering why did she have to act dumb whenever she met him.