Chapter 21

Ed stared at the mansion. It went up tall, for about up to five floors. The mansion was spread around about ten acres of property in total, and it was no wonder to him, as to why people did not go anywhere near it.

"How are we going to rescue Sky from here?" Jacob asked the question, that had been nagging Ed ever since his eyes had fallen on the mansion. He shrugged.

"Let's go," he said, and touching his damaged shoulder gently, both Ed and Jacob looked around them, and they crouched down lower and walked forwards through the overgrown grass that was tall enough to cover them. They took very slow steps, and stopped frequently to glance around them and make sure that they were not being followed.

Suddenly, Ed stopped where he was as Jacob grabbed his school bag. He took a hold of it, and when Ed turned towards him pissed, Jacob signed him to get down. Not lingering anymore, Ed obliged and he turned to look around him to catch whatever that had caught Jacob's eyes. A shiver went down through his spine, as he saw a tall man, who was about seven feet walk very close to them. A whisper slipped through Ed's lips, and he gasped. Jacob pinched him, and quickly composing himself, Ed remained silent.

They did not know whether because the man was dumb, or whether because he was too tall, he did not notice the intruders. He walked right past them, taking giant foot steps. Both Ed and Jacob pulled their breaths up, not wanting him to hear at least a breath sound from them. But the giant man did not notice any changes, and as though he was the only person in the whole vicinity, he hummed a tune for himself, and sauntered forwards.

Ed turned behind to look at Jacob as he passed them. Both of them nodded, and they decided to follow the man. He was too ignorant of what was happening around him, and there was no chance that they would get caught. After the giant man was about five feet in front of them, Ed and Jacob took a step forward. Even though they were walking silently, the overgrown grass was not helping them. Every single step they took rustled the grass blades and the sound rang aloud through the blinding silence, and Ed looked again and again at the man to make sure that he did not indicate any difference. But as they had predicted, as he was too tall, his ears did not fall on noises that were far below his ears.

Ed pulled his breath up, and he walked slowly. Except for the most uncomfortable feeling of walking crouched lower, he was even starting to have pains shooting from his damaged shoulder. The fall had landed badly on his arm, but not wanting to reveal their hiding spot, he bit his tongue and remained silent, because Skylar was more important to him than the pains on his shoulder.

Ed turned and looked at Jacob. As Jacob was taller than Ed, it was an even harder task for him. He glanced at him, and when he was turning back in front, he did not notice the large brick in front of him. The sudden contact of his toes to the brick, sent a hiss down his lips, and he closed his mouth at once, as the man stopped suddenly. Ed's eyes grew larger as he stopped where he was and waited. Crouching down lower, Ed looked at the man to check whether he was in doubt, while his mind raked his brain to check whether they had discussed anything regarding what to do when they were spotted while following the person. Even Jacob was afraid, and his heart beat was too loud. Ed turned towards Jacob and he shrugged. They looked at the man once more.

As stupid as he was tall, the man shrugged his shoulders and went forward as though nothing had happened. Maybe he might have thought that the sudden sound was due to a trick of the wind.

"How can anyone be so stupid?" Jacob hissed down to Ed's ears, and he smirked, shrugging.

"Let's go." Ed said, and together they started following him once more.

After they had walked a considerable distance, both Ed and Jacob laid down themselves on the overgrown grass, as the man stopped, and they noticed that they were in front of the mansion. A large oak door was closed, and a guard was sitting beside it. He was sleeping and his head nodded every few minutes or so. Ed looked at the giant man, and as he had guessed, he walked towards the security guard. Ed listened closely. Even though the house was far from them, as the man was too tall, his voice was carried away even louder.