Ch. 17: Mommy's Interest Increases/Making it to Your Destination

Meanwhile, back in Baltimore. Mommy Long Legs is at her own place. She's still dating your brother at the moment, unbeknownst to you. She's in her room and she's got pictures of Catnap on her wall. A picture of you with X's on your eyes and a few push pens puncturing your face, indicating she wishes you dead. Most of the photos are of a recent Catnap.

She sits there on her bed and she smiles. She giggles and says, "Poor oblivious Danny. Sure, he's cute... But nobody compares to Catnap. But that bitch (Y/N) (L/N) had to have him, first. The one who tried to steal my show with all the love and glory. Everyone loved me and thought I was the hottest girl in school... until SHE showed up!!...  Ugh. It makes me sick to my stomach, seeing someone deemed hotter than Mommy."

She picks up a picture of Catnap of what he looks like now and she sighs and smiles. She says, "Oh, Catnap. You unlike that bloated Huggy have aged like fine wine, baby.~" She strokes the picture and she says, "Ooh, you're so cute. So fucking handsome. Too bad you're taken by that pest that stands in my way. (Y/N)... (Y/N) fucking (L/N)!" 

She look at his picture and she says, "Little did they know... I know where Catnap currently lives. I went there, hid in some bushes and snapped a photo with my Polaroid camera. Just to get pictures of this hottie. I've been doing this for months. Ooh, that bitch he's currently with." She smiles and she says, "Ahh... I got it. As soon as I see them. No matter how long it takes... I'll kill (Y/N) and have Catnap all to myself.~" She laughs.

********************************************************

Meanwhile, you and Catnap are already midway through Kansas. The radio is playing Sober by Tool. You clinch your legs and Catnap notices this. He says, "Need to pee?" You say, "Not to brag, but yeah. I do." He says, "Alright. Next exit, we'll drive up to a gas station." You say, "Very good."

He smirks and mumbles, "I won't lie. That would be pretty hot to watch.~" You say, "Catnap. Don't be gross." He chuckles and says, "Says the one who kissed me on the ass cheek earlier at the hotel.~" You say, "Hey. You have a cute bum. I couldn't resist." He whispers, "Fuck, I love you.~" 

He finds the exit and he drives up there. He gets to the gas station nearby and he parks by a pump. You guys needed gas anyways. You get out of the car and you say, "Shit. I really have to go." You run inside. Catnap gets out and walks into the store and goes to the counter. He pays for the pump and heads back outside to pump gas in his car.

You walk out of the restroom after going and you sigh and say, "Much relief." You get a few things. You pay for them and you walk out. You get to Catnap. He says, "Feel better, Kitten?" You say, "Yeah. I got a few things while I was at it." 

He says, "Like what?" You say, "Oh... a few things to snack on while we're on the road." He says, "Oh, okay. Good." You both get in the car and he starts it. You both take off, continuing your way to your destination.

************************************************************

It takes a day in a half, but you and Catnap finally make it to where you've decided to stay. In California. Los Angeles to be precise. Scratch that, two days due to staying in a couple of hotels on your way. You went through at least seven states to get there.

Catnap says, "We did it, Kitten. We got as far away from Baltimore as possible. We're on the other side of the states." You smirk and you say, "Australia's still much much further. Probably the furthest point from the states." He says, "You're pretty fucking smart about this stuff, Kitten." You say, "I've been reading about it in a world Atlas." 

(There was no internet for most people back then. Not even google in 1995. So... it was a book or something on cable TV.)

You sigh and you sit back. You say, "I need music." He smirks and says, "Have at it." You sit up a bit and you turn the radio on your usual favorite rock station. It plays the song Kitty by The Presidents of the United States of America P.O.T.U.S.A. for short.

You say, "Hey. Who's this? I like it." Catnap says, "New song, probably?" You hear the guy singing, "Meow. Meow. Meow meow meow meow..." You say, "Oh, it's about a cat. How that that?" You listen and you move your head a bit. You were digging it. So was he. 

Catnap says, "Wait a second. I think I know who this is. It's P.O.T.U.S.A." You say, "You mean the band that sings Lump and Peaches?" He says, "Yeah. I'll find us a hotel for now, Kitten." You say, "I'll grab a newspaper and look for a job to apply for." He says, "Yeah. Me too. We wanna make it, it needs to be done, asap." You say, "Yeah." 

You and Catnap drive through Los Angeles and you get into Santa Ana. You guys find a LaQuinta Inn and you say, "This will do." Catnap pulls in and he parks outside. You both get out of the car and you stretch a bit. He sighs and he says, "I'm done driving for the night." You say, "Babe. Take a break. You've been driving the entire way here from Baltimore. Let ME take over when we go places."

He looks at you and says, "I appreciate it, Kitten." He walks to you and you face him. He looks at you and he says, "Baby... This is our new home. Los Angeles. Who knows? You might run into some celebrities." You say, "I wish. I've always wanted to meet John Cusack or Tom Hanks. Or Dolores O'Riordan of The Cranberries. 

(R.I.P. to her. She died twenty-three years later prior from the time this story takes place.)

Catnap grins and says, "Jack Nicholson. That's my kind of actor." You say, "Yeah. Him too." He says, "Let's head inside. We've gone far enough for me to avoid being put behind bars." You grab his hand and you say, "I'm right here with you, Catnap. Just know that, baby." He smiles. You smile at him. You both head inside the hotel to check in.

**********************************************************

Later on, you and Catnap are in your hotel room. You're looking at a newspaper for job opportunities. You and Catnap both. You say, "Hmm. Oh, hey. Here's one we can try temporarily." He says, "What's that?" You point and you say, "We could work at this place called Valentino's. A fancy Italian restaurant where you have to have a reservation to eat at." 

He says, "If they'll accept runaways like us to work there. Look at us, Kitten." You look at him and he looks at you. He says, "We're nowhere near fancy, no matter how hot and sweet YOU are." You say, "Catnap. You're hot too, lovey." 

He sighs and says, "My point is... we're not in Baltimore, anymore. We're in California. Standards are higher here in most places. I may be from Baltimore and you from Australia, but we're practically hillbillies compared to the ones that were raised here, Kitten." You say, "Baby. Relax. We'll have to try. It's more money than you would make at a fast-food joint." 

You grab his hand and you say, "Just a shot. If we don't get it, we'll find another job to try and get." He says, "Alright. I'll do it." You smile. He says, "If it means getting our own place here to avoid more hotel hopping, then so be it." You say, "That's the spirit, Catnap." You and Catnap sit back on the bed and you watch TV.