Chapter 3 - Simulated Air Battle

"Why us? Isn't this the job of the Experimental Department at Yokosuka Naval Air Group?"

Uncharacteristically, I, who usually responds with an immediate "yes, sir" to orders from my superiors, retorted with a question. On the other hand, the Lieutenant, the commander of the Hiryū air group and also the leader of the fighters of the first squadron's first flight, looked puzzled.

Despite being an officer and a pilot, the Lieutenant is exceptionally skilled and has a gentle demeanor, earning him deep respect from the pilots. So, even though I'm just an ensign, I can comfortably voice my complaints.

I adjusted my attitude as I faced my superior. Essentially, I'm someone who understands common sense. However, this is the military. Rank matters in this feudal society. Normally, a mere ensign and a section leader like me would be decked in the face for speaking like this to a fighter squadron captain. But the Lieutenant patiently explained to me. It made sense.

"You're an officer too. You must understand that a war with the United States might start soon."

I nodded silently. Yes, the relationship between Japan and the United States is becoming increasingly tense. It's safe to say it's deteriorating. Moreover, stupid politicians and the media are accelerating the trend by clamoring for "Down with America and Britain." I want them to stop. It's us military personnel who will bear the brunt of it.

However, even among the military, the voices in favor of a war with the United States and Britain are so loud that they cannot be ignored. Unfortunately, that's the reality. Among such people, there are those who, rather than worrying about the country, are more interested in using the war to advance their own careers. In such an environment, I'm not so optimistic about avoiding war.

"Both the Experimental Department and the Pioneer Corps are too busy preparing for the impending war with the United States. There's no manpower to spare for an inter-service match with the Army, let alone valuable pilots."

The "inter-service match" the Lieutenant refers to is a simulated aerial combat between the latest fighters proposed by the Army. They seem quite confident about their fighter, known as the Type 1 fighter, and are eager to test it out.

"Furthermore, you must be aware of how our Reppū is viewed by the Army."

The Lieutenant smirked.

He's goading me. Despite the differences between the Army and Navy, being branches of the same military, they must be aware of the Reppū. And the impressions of the Army personnel who have seen the Reppū can be described, borrowing their words, as a "bloated pig." Other descriptions include "waste of resources," "a giant tree in the way," and so on. I've heard that many Reppū pilots hold a grudge against the Army because of this. Even I, despite being mild-mannered, am not pleased. Yet, I'm not particularly enthusiastic about the inter-service match with the Army. Because they'll definitely send their aces. Veterans who have shot down enemy planes on the continent will come. It might be fine for Mutō or Iwamoto, and maybe even Nishizawa, who is undoubtedly a future ace. But it's impossible for me. Absolutely impossible.

Thinking so, I suggest to the Lieutenant that it would be better for the strongest first section of the Hiryū's first squadron to take on the challenge. In terms of my second section and the Lieutenant's first section, the skills of the second, third, and fourth planes are equal. But the crucial difference lies in the skill of the flight leads. I am nowhere near the Lieutenant's level.

"Don't worry. Only three planes will be fighting. First, solo, then in pairs, and finally in three-on-three battles. You just need to watch your subordinates fight."

Having easily understood my shallow intentions, the Lieutenant continued with a slight laugh.

"I can't just go on a business trip for something like this as the fighter commander. It might question the Navy's superiority. The Hiryū fighter squadron can't afford to seem idle in this day and age. People might even sarcastically ask if we have too much free time."

Feeling relieved at the Lieutenant's words, I'm fine as long as I don't embarrass myself. So, it's wise to make things easier for him.

"If it's an order, then so be it. The second section will do our best."

Seeing my flip-flopping attitude, the Lieutenant chuckled this time, but at the same time, he placed tremendous pressure on me.

"Well, take it easy. With the Reppū, we can't possibly lose."

As he spoke, he handed me an envelope. When I checked its contents, it was a considerable amount of cash. What's this? When I asked the Lieutenant, he said it was for adding to the celebration party. This makes me realize that the Lieutenant, as the leader of the Hiryū fighter squadron, is indeed respected. But he's not just someone who delegates troubles. If he wields the whip, he also has prepared rewards. When I get promoted like him someday and my salary increases, I'll learn from him.

However, looking back later, I realized I was naïve. The Lieutenant wasn't that kind of person after all.