42. | "Happy New Year."

Start from the beginning

I shake my head. "No. I helped plan this one."

"That explains why Alex was here." He mumbles. "At first, I thought he was here with another woman, but then I saw the dress."

I frown, looking down at my dress. "What's wrong with it?"

"You're the only one wearing a pink dress that reminds me of a Disney princess." He smiles. "Like a real life Aurora."

That draws a smile out of me.

"Yeah, well, she's the Aurora to my Phillip." Alex smiles down at me, brushing my hair behind my ear and out of my face.

Lucas snorts. "Okay, you two. I get you're in love, but no need to rub it in everybody's faces." I roll my eyes. "So your company's holding this fundraiser?" I nod. "So, then you know Sierra."

My brows furrow. "There are, like, three Sierra's that work here." I state.

"Sierra Mandalen."

"How do you know Sierra?" I stand up straight, glaring.

"Woah, relax there, bulldozer." He holds his hands up. "I just met her when we were drunk at a bar."

I narrow my eyes. I step toward him, pointing a finger. "If I find out you hurt her in any way shape or form, I'm going to cut off your balls and force feed them to you."

I watch as he stares down at me, fear in his eyes. "Uhhh, Alex?" He glances nervously at Alex behind me.

"I'm stayin' out of that one." Alex retorts.

I glance back at Alex, finding him stuffing another treat in his mouth. I scowl at him. "Stop that."

"Fine, Mom." He pouts.

"Lindsey, you're back!" I hear Sierra exclaim.

I turn around, and we wrap our arms around each other. "Hi!" I laugh. "You really thought I'd miss this? This is the biggest fundraiser of the year."

"Well, I'm glad you could make it." She smiles, pulling away. "So, tell me about your little vacation to Arizona. Was it fun?"

I grimace. "Sort've."

"What do you mean 'sort've'?" She asks, confused.

"I'll tell you later." I wave her off.

She nods, then turns to Lucas. "Hi." She smiles at him, fidgeting with her hands. Is she nervous?

"Hi." Lucas whispers, staring in awe. Her black hair falls in curls, a few strands pinned into a bun at the back of her head. Her dress is a satin, burgundy color with a slit running up to her midthigh, revealing her ebony-toned leg underneath. There's a fabric going across the top of the dress, giving it a seamless, off-the-shoulder look.

I can definitely understand why Lucas is speechless. She looks beautiful.

I turn to Alex, grabbing his hands. "Come on. Let's dance." I grin. And leave these two lovebirds to it.

"Oh, no, I don't dance." He shakes his head, even as I drag him to the dance floor.

"You're a rockstar, yet you don't dance?" I snort. We step onto the dance floor, facing each other with smiles on our faces.

"I may be a rockstar, but that doesn't mean I want to dance." He retorts.

"And yet you're standing here before me." I state with a knowing smile.

"Yeah, well, it's this, or deal with Lucas acting like a lovesick fool." At that, I laugh as he grins. I pull away, our hands connected, and he drags me back to him. He spins me, moving us in a box step. He spins me out, only to spin me back to him, my back pressed against his chest, my arms crossed to connect with his.