30.

After 5 months

I stood outside my wooden hostel room smelling fresh air. Taking a deep breath, I opened my eyes to witness most beautiful mountains and greenery around me. My pet dog Snuggly licked my feet asking me to feed him.

"You have become bad boy these days! You get up so early!." I cooed which made him go into playful mode. I banged my friends room who opened with sleepy eyes.

"Varna! Come on! You need to get ready!." I shouted.

"Why? I don't have emergency like you. Leave me alone. Dhruv is going to visit me today, i need to have beauty sleep." She murmured walking back into her room. I smiled at her laziness. Who knew some girl whose husband hates my sarcasm will come here to work?

"Varna please! Mom is coming today, I don't want Yug to cry about not having enough space to sleep." I whined standing her door. She immediately got up to clean my 2bhk hostel room. We were blessed to find this. The thing I love most about this building is, it feels like we live in an apartment but functions like a hostel with common canteen and other facilities.

"When you can't maintain, you need to keep it clean. Who the hell opts for 2bhk? Look at me, Dhruv sleeps wherever I sleep so I don't need extra bedroom. Even when we fight he clings to me like a-" She stopped in the middle looking at my sad face.

"I am sorry, I get carried away like a douchebag. No! Like an empty garbage bag!." She shouted making me laugh. I sat in a corner looking out of my window as my friend cleaned my apt silently. It's been 5 months since I started working here, away from everyone. My decision to be this far has made me feel guilty but it was needed.

"Does he talk with you?." She finally asked sitting beside me.

" He does. Every night he messages me until I tell him my eyes are closing and I can't hold my phone." I replied. She hummed not saying a word.

"So you haven't heard his voice for past 5 months? Nor looked at his face?." She questioned. I smiled nodding my head . His mom called me informing that Yug decided to stay with me during his summer holidays. How can I say no to him? He's my everything, of course after him.

"So you basically did not have any physical contact? Not even a kiss?" She asked. I smiled nodding my head as no.

"Don't worry, when he does. He will regret his behavior. You should know Dhruv told me how his dad pressurized Amogh to be best one. I think after his death,  Amogh couldn't understand what being alone meant. " She spoke as I listened to her carefully. Talking about his dad is a sensitive issue. I wanted to sit and sort out his issues but not everyone opens up if I behave like a counselor.

"Get ready now, give me your spare keys. You got surgery today right?."She asked as I prepared breakfast for her. Winding up things, I moved out of my apartment locking it.  For 27 years of my life, I stayed with my parents suddenly when I came out of my house,  I felt freedom hit me hard and now I have become over independent.

Is it bad?

I don't know. What I can say is, I felt peace within me. Sense of carrying burden on my shoulder has been lifted off. I could concentrate clearly on what I want and stable myself rather than defend my every decision infront of people I live with. What I missed most is my husband. Yes. Now I can proudly call him as my husband unlike before where I hesitated to mention that we are married. I felt guilty to cross his requests even infront of people who knew about us. My mind didn't want to accept him nor acknowledge that he's mine yet I demanded him to show society that I am his Wife. How foolish of me to pressurize him when I myself have not gathered the sense to understand the situation.

That's why you should not get married before you settle.

"Good morning Dr Upadhyay!." Nurse greeted me as I entered my ward. Since my degree has come with his surname, people here started calling me with the same. I blush everytime which I shouldn't!.

"Hello little man! Are you ready to fight?." I cooed as the patient nodded his head smiling widely. It breaks my heart to see kids suffer so much at such an young age. I prepared him with the help of my team and got ready to operate on his tumor. Team of doctors stood with me as we discussed about many thing that could go wrong. Never in my life I felt like an appendage when I saw how experienced on oncologist removed the tumor with precision.

"Good work Anagha. We are happy that you could motivate patient and his family for surgery. Let's watch for any possible reactions now. Shall we?." Dr Samridh spoke as we all patiently stood beside him.  I bowed and sat behind. Waiting for any signs of complications. We were tired, stressed and mostly exhausted. My body wanted to sleep while other doctors discussed about cases. After waiting for 1.5hrs we decided to call it an successful surgery. I smiled after scrubbing out. Although his parents are rich enough to afford this treatment, we were not sure about saving his life. Tumor grew on part on of his lung making it extremely difficult for us to assess. Now that he's breathing with the help of advancements and alive, initial success of our surgery has been accomplished.

"Shall we have lunch now?." Dr Samridh asked as we all nodded our head. It's 3 in the afternoon which made my stomach rumble loudly. Everyone laughed as I tried to hide my embarrassment.

"Come on. Anagha is going to faint now." Samridh spoke taking me by my shoulder. I smiled not having much to say. We all sat down in the canteen talking about different cases and joking about some. When suddenly one of the doctors Dr Akira cardiothoraic surgeon in our team pointed out at me.

" You got chips in your hair." She said laughing loudly. Before I could take out Samridh helped me with it.  Everyone at the table made fun of me about how clumsy I am out of operation theater. After an hour of break, it was time for our rounds around the ward. I bid goodbye to others as I don't wish to meet again for dinner.

Reason?

I got cute little demon waiting for me at home!

As I walked home, chilly air bit my bones. When I first joined here during winter, my body couldn't take this cold weather. But now I can tolerate it.  Last night it rained heavily dropping minimum temperature to single digits.

"Oohh it's cold!." I shouted and ran inside as rain poured down suddenly. As soon as I reached my apartment, door was wide opened and I saw someone I didn't think i will.

"Aren't you working too late?." His voice alone caused chills all over my body. I took few steps back as he walked towards me. Snuggly jumped on me as soon he smelled that it's me.

"Woah! Calm down." I patted him looking at Amogh who just watched my interaction with my Snuggly.

"I.. it's just 9 P.M I usually come around 12 or 1 in the night. " I spoke as he looked at me intensely.

"That late? Don't you have your junior doctors to look into cases? You walk alone everyday?." He asked stepping close to me. I nodded my head as yes feeling overwhelmed at the proximity.

"You are wet. Go inside." He said taking Snuggly from my hand.

"Huh?." I asked not understanding what he meant.

"Anagha, as much as I love to see you wet, I would really love to see you naked more I.e when you don't change your clothes and fall sick." He whispered into my ears as I ran inside to change into something warm.

What the hell just happened?

*********************
Unedited

Please vote comment and share my story!