Part 7

She sighed sitting on the bed. She had nothing to do.

He went to the office for some urgent work. Though his leave was still pending he had to be there for something.

Ruchi was a bit upset but didn't have the courage to voice out.

They had their breakfast together. And then he left after looking at her for a brief second and muttering a small bye.

It was just the second day of her marriage and she was yet to explore everything around her.

After he left, she just checked the other empty room thinking what she could do to make the house more lively.

She had binged shopped for a few things online and then looked at some of the design ideas.

Tossing her phone on the bed, she decides to rest for a while. The heavy clothes and jewelry were already too much to handle.

Though she liked her attire she was tired of carrying it around. She slept almost till evening and then went out to stroll in the park after having some snacks.

She sat on the bench quietly looking around. Children started coming in too along with their parents.

Watching them playing their heart out with charming smiles was a pleasant sight. They looked so pretty. Her moment of pleasure was broken when a woman came to sit beside her. She looked in her early thirties. Ruchi's gaze went to her, she was pretty but her face looked pale. She wore a simple pink suit that looked elegant on her body.

The lady looked at her and Ruchi offered her a bright smile. The lady too responded with a small smile and turned her gaze again to her 5-year-old daughter who was on the swing.

"Arranged or love? " The lady asked still looking at the front.

Since nobody else was sitting beside them, Ruchi assumed it was a question for her.

"Arranged" Ruchi replied and watched the lady's face snap at her.

"Cherish every moment. Later in life, when you will feel the spark of marriage going down, it will help you " She said seriously and Ruchi could feel the sudden shift in her voice.

The smile on Ruchi's lips seemed to fade away. The simple sentence shook her.

"Sorry! " The lady immediately apologized as she looked at the fallen face.

Ruchi looked at the lady who had tears gathered inside her eyes "Are you fine? " Ruchi asked, the statement held a deeper meaning for sure.

Listening to Ruchi, a tear slid down the lady's cheeks.

She took some breaths and Ruchi waited for her to say something. She shifted a bit closer.

"Ours was arranged marriage too. We were married because of our parent's choice. There was an initial spark of marriage for about two months. And after that, it died down. Now we are simply coexisting in this marriage because of our daughter. In the early days of our marriage, there was a lot of pressure for a child. And I got pregnant in the second month of our marriage. My husband is a decent human being. But there is simply nothing in our marriage. We force ourselves to talk to each other. And everyone thinks we are doing fine. We are not. I don't know whom to share. Whom to tell"

She hiccupped taking a deep breath. Ruchi's heart clenched looking at the lady wailing like a child.

Ruchi rubbed her back trying to soothe her. She heard her sniffing, " He fell for one of his colleagues. There is always a soft smile on his face whenever it's her. He looks at her so adoringly. I am happy for him at least he found his love. Even if it's one-sided. But our families will never let us get divorced. For a fact, I know he will never cross the line of physical intimacy with anyone. But my heart just breaks. More than myself, I feel for my daughter, what a loveless environment she is growing up in. I have failed as a parent too. I am married still unmarried and I have nobody to share all this. "

Tears kept flowing through her eyes as she looked at Ruchi, she felt guilty for spoiling her day with the rant, "I am really sorry for scaring you. I just couldn't control myself. I am sorry for putting you through distress".

Ruchi's heart pained more, she wished she could do something for her. "I am here if you need to share anything " Ruchi muttered up courage and giving her a loose hug.

The lady embraced her back like a child as if her life depended on that one hug.

Minutes passed by, and the lady seemed to calm down. Ruchi let her go but the lady's head was down not meeting her gaze. Ruchi didn't question, she let her be however she wanted.

They kept sitting there for some more time and then the daughter ran to her mom, "Mom let's go. It's Shinchan time " She jumped excitedly and her mother nodded pretending to smile.

She glanced at Ruchi for the last time and whispered a "sorry" before being lost from her sight.

Ruchi was back in their apartment but her heart was clouded. She felt some weight on her heart. She was restless. Her mind was overpowering her with questions.

What if they too grow out of love?

What if this marriage is against his will?

What if they too end up in a loveless marriage?

She realized she never asked why did he marry her when he did.

She restlessly waited for her husband.