Chapter 9: Storytelling

The whole day we've been doing everything I do on my schedule. We did rock climbing (he was amazing at that), then volleyball (didn't know how to play properly, but had good reactions), then the last, arts and crafts (he just painted a nice picture of the moon). We both had what I would consider an amazing day. We got along great, I could teach him properly, and Chiron said that we get to pick the next big event we're having tomorrow. He said we deserved it. I never saw my self as a person who's entitled to anything, but this was the greatest opportunity I've gotten. No way I'm turning this down.

Right now it was night. Everyone was done with what they were doing before and now retreating to the dining pavilion. Tonight we're having steaks with baked potatoes. With the assumption that the new kids from a southern state, I knew he would like tonight's meal.

We were now currently standing in line as the kids in front of us made their offerings to the gods.

"I don't get it," the kid said, "why are they tossing their food into a fire?"

"That's how we make our offerings to the gods," I explained. "In mythology, the Greeks burned foods and animals over a fire as a sacrifice or offering to the gods for blessing them."

"How does burning food count as an offering?"

"You'll see when you get there. Just give the best thing you have on your plate." It was now my turn to give my offering. "To Demeter." I said as I tossed my baked potato into the fire. The delicious aroma of the food scented smoke invaded my nose. That's how you know you didn't waist good food.

Before I walked to my table, I looked back to the kid. He was just standing there with a confused look on his face.

That's when I realized he may not know who to make an offering to. I usually make my offerings randomly. Im still undetermined, so I try to worship them all. Even though I know my godly parent is my dad, I still give the goddesses some affection. They are family, after all.

But this kid has yet to understand everything about them. He probably doesn't even know how to pronounce their names properly. And believe me. It's. A. Pain. I remember my tongue almost having a stroke trying to pronounce Hephaestus. Like seriously, who named the gods?

The kid looked at me with pleading eyes, wanting to know what to do next. I was about to whisper to him a name, but his attention averted to the person standing behind him, Dan. He whispered a name to him. Possibly Apollo.

"To Apollo," he said.

(called it)

Unexpectedly, he tossed his entire steak into the fire. To most people it was a shock, but to him he didn't care. He then walked over to me eyeing his potato with the eyes of Tantalus. In a more modern way of speaking: he looked hungry.

"Gods, you look hungry," I said as we walked to the table.

"Well, I haven't eaten anything this good in..." He looked up in thought. "Huh, can't really remember."

"You know, I never asked where you're from." We had finally found seats across from each other at our table. "I mean, you don't sound like you're a local in New York or anywhere around it."

"I'm from Texas."

(called it again)

"So that's why you threw your steak into the fire?" I said cutting into my steak.

"What? No, what made you think that?"

"Well, given that steaks are a popular meal in Texas, I figured that you have already had your fair share of them. So giving an entire one as an offering wouldn't be much of a bother."