Chapter 2 • Bakery

Chapter TWO

"Good morning, Serena." Grandpa Joe greeted with a newspaper in his hand as I newly open my bakery for the day.

"Good morning, Grandpa Joe! Wishing you a great day today!" I greeted back with a smile.

Grandpa Joe is one of my neighbors who greets me on frequent basis. I would catch him watering his mini garden with his wife outside and would greet me when he sees me. They're very bright and friendly. They would sometimes invite me for dinner.

"I'm going to the store to buy some coffee since I ran out. Ya know I can't start the day without my black coffee." He said and laughed. He walks slow so we were able to prolong a conversation.

"Black coffee? I got you, grandpa! Hang on."

"It's okay dear, I'll buy from the store."

"Nah, no need to walk that far to get a coffee. It's on me today.Just give me minute."

I prepared a black coffee for grandpa, to-go. It only takes 5 minutes to make it so he was able to wait with a smile on his face.

"Oh my! You didn't need to but thank you. You are such a sweetheart, Serena." He was in aww as he grabbed the cup from my hand. He took out some money from his pocket but I refused. "But let me pay you."

"It's fine, grandpa. Just think about the dinners you invited me over. Hope you enjoy your coffee."

"Thank you, dear. Hope you get a lot of customers today and everyday." His final words before waving goodbye and leaving.

I smiled to myself and prepared the cookies and pastries I made for today. While being busy, I heard the door open by the bell sound.

"Good morning!" I greeted while still being busy, not looking at the customer who just came in.

My first customer for the day.

"What are you getting, Ni-Ki?" I heard a male voice asked.

"Don't know." His friend replied in monotone.

"Hmm...I think this cinnamon roll looks delicious. I think I'm getting this one and a hot chocolate."

"Just one second, fine gentlemen." I said as I pushed the last box into the cabinet. I just opened and I already have 2 customers.

"Take your time, lady." I heard the guy said.

I smiled and clap the dust off my hands and fixed my apron. I turned around to face them, making immediate eye contact with this familiar sharp eyes. My smile dropped and couldn't even move as I realize who my first customer is.

I'm pretty sure he recognizes me as well as his eyes widened for a second and went back to his normal expression which is dead cold.

"Um...I'll have cinnamon roll and a hot chocolate. To go please." The other guy with sharp jaw and clean slick back hair said.

I blinked rapidly and cleared my throat. I typed the order on the cash register and paused to look at 'that' cold guy, waiting for his order.

"Strawberry cream bread."

I typed in his order and told them the total of their order. The other guy paid for it and I gave them his change. I proceeded to prepare for their order with my heart pumping a bit faster than usual. Why the hell am I shaking? Isn't he suppose to forget what happened?

"Can you warm up the bread?" I heard the cold guy said.

I faced him with confused look. But cream breads are supposed to be cold?

"Ah, my friend ; Ni-Ki here, likes his strawberries warm hence, the request." The other guy chuckled, placing his arms on Ni-Ki's shoulder.

"Tsk. Jay Hyung." I heard Ni-Ki muttered, flashing him a dagger look.

"Ah, I see." I just nodded and followed his request. I warmed up the bread for couple of seconds only.

After preparing their orders, I handed them their orders for to-go.

"Please careful with the hot chocolate. It's extra hot." I warned as I support the bottom of the cup.

"Thank you, miss. What's your name?" Jay guy asked.

"Serena." I replied, avoiding Ni-Ki's stare at me as I notice it from my peripheral vision.

"I'm Jay and this is Ni-Ki. Have a great day!" He waved goodbye as Ni-Ki followed him from behind. As soon as they officially left the bakery, I let out a deep exhale that I have been holding. Jeez. I hope this will be the last time they come here. I mean, it's just too awkward to face that guy.