14. Ring Ring, Chika.

The longer I stayed between Pierre’s arms, the more difficult it became to move, not due to lack of mobility but just the reason being of pure bliss. Never wanting this moment to pass by for my own selfish reasoning. The feeling of him against me, holding me, it’s intoxicating, and as the morning dew spat on his window and the sun started awakening from the East, Pierre kissed my shoulder and then quietly stood up to dress himself, leaving me be.

Still exhausted from the events between him and I last night, I remained in his bed for a while longer. It was only when I properly awoke when he spoiled me with a cup of tea, and after I was warmly dressed and enter the kitchen, did Michiel invite us to go grocery shopping with him, to which we naturally obliged. And all the while Michiel was purchasing various fruits and beautiful flowers to decorate their home with, Pierre got us coffee and breakfast, though, I refused to eat wondering where my appetite had disappeared to. This seemed to concern him when I refused to take a bite from his breakfast sandwich, but he said nothing and kept his focus on the road. From one destination to another we stop and go until we reach the last market, by this time I’m quite saturated from people and remain quiet. Pierre jumps out of the car and jogs to visit a nearby market. I stand alone outside and sip my coffee by the car and wait for both the boys to come back. Before I have a second thought of contemplation to run after any one of them, Pierre shortly returns with something in his hands. I give him a sceptical look, but he just smiles brightly.

He hands me what I’ve come to see a bright luminescent blue and red pair of socks with small hamburgers engraved on it. I furrow my brows.

‘’Burgers?’’

He grins but doesn’t say anything. Michiel hurriedly joins us right after carrying more groceries in overworked and overstretched plastic bags. Pierre tries to open the boot of the car with a struggle. Michiel laughs.

What is up with these guys’ cars.

Michiel stops Pierre from harshly tugging the back of the car, the poor vehicle is starting to bounce up and down from his strength. Once Michiel gets him to stop, he uses his hands to gently touch the car’s rear and like some sort of sorcery, the boot clasps open. Pierre looks at him, eyebrows furrowed.

‘’Sy’s soos n wyfie, jy moet saggies vat.’’

A giggle escapes me and not a moment later we are all beside ourselves with laughter.

Idiots.

After they loaded the car, Pierre digs deep into the pockets of his jacket and gives Michiel a little gift that he purchased earlier, a scarf striped with many layers of various vibrant colours. Michiel’s face lights up instantly and for a split second, I thought he was just about ready to shed a tear of gratitude. I can’t help but smile at the alluring thoughtfulness of him, he didn’t have to get us anything, yet here I am holding a ridiculous pair of socks that I don’t need, but truthfully, I might just treasure for the rest of my life.

‘’You got this for me?’’

Pierre nods with a smile. Michiel jumps to hug him, and they lovingly embrace each other. Michiel places the scarf inside his moon bag and zips it closed with an uncanny smile on his face. Once we’re all inside the car, we headed off home in the most comfortable silence and with Pierre’s hand exactly where it should be, on my thigh.

Once we were back in the house, I sat on a chair in the kitchen watching them with a smile as they rearranged the groceries in the cupboard and playing with the purple grapes used to decorate the kitchen island.

It seems so easy here.

I watch them pile a stack of fruit on top of one another and throw each other with the grapes, and it’s as though the scene before me plays out in slow-motion, and it’s only when I feel Pierre gently caress my thigh, I then look up to him and hear him.