Chapter One No Plans

Magsimula sa umpisa

Penny stops her from flipping the lifeguard off, because if Frankie gets banned from the pool again that would suck. She said that last year she broke in before it opened and spreaded chocolate ice cream around the perimeter of the pool.

Not only did she have to clean it up, but she was banned for the rest of the summer.

Once my body gets tired from repeatedly being drowned by my friends and drowning them, the four of us climb out and head back to our chairs for a drink.

"I'm so thirsty it's not even real." I whine, unscrewing a water bottle and immediately spitting out my first sip because it tastes like chlorine.

"Not as thirsty as me." Axel grins, holding up the empty bottle she already chugged.

"You're thirsty for Penny." Frankie wiggles her eyebrows at Axel, and this makes me laugh at the wrong time, causing my water to spray onto Axel.

"Yuck Y/N!" Axel whines.

"Yuck Y/N!" Malachi mocks her.

"You're next." I glare at him and he throws his hands up in surrender.

"Save it for the pool, L/N." Malachi jokes, taking off his sandals.

I glance around at my friends as Axel, Malachi, and Penny start talking. Frankie hugged Jonah sopping wet and he hadn't gotten in the pool yet, so of course he started complaining.

Now they're playing a card game on one of the lounge chairs. Kalon's having a life or death struggle with the umbrella, while also holding a conversation with Rodrick.

Speaking of Rodrick... Is it wrong that I'm simply observing the fact that he's lying on the lounge chair acting like he doesn't have a care in the world?

And he's wearing an unbuttoned black shirt, and the sun is being nice to him, and his hair looks like he didn't brush it after waking up...

Yep, it's wrong.

Everyone stands up, ready to go mess around in the pool again, and Rodrick stumbles and drops his drink in the pool, getting yelled at by a lifeguard.

I stifle a laugh at his stupidity and move over to Axel. "That's why our relationship only lasted a few months," I point at Rodrick hopelessly trying to grab his cup in the water without getting in. "He can't hold shit."

Axel's clearly trying to stifle a laugh, but she tries for a stern tone. "Y/N, be nice."

I toss my wet hair over my shoulder and pretend to be offended. "This is me being nice."

"Damn, when you don't have school and grades to stress about you're scary as fuck." Axel snorts, dripping blue hair dye down her back all over our lounge chairs.

I fold my arms and glare in Rodrick's direction. "You haven't seen half of it."

Rodrick turns towards me briefly, and I swear he shivers at the severity of my gaze.

Good.

~~~~

"Have you talked to him at all?" Axel asks. We're on FaceTime painting our nails together, and there was a lull in conversation. Which Axel apparently felt the need to fill with Rodrick.

I pause. Clear my throat. Look around for a tissue to clean up the messy nail polish all over my finger with. Decide to reply with honesty. "Actually, yeah," I sigh deeply as Axel brings the phone close to their face and looks at me like a questioning puppy dog. "Just a few texts here and there."

"Read them to me." She demands.

I roll my eyes but don't bother protesting. There's no point. It is mostly basic exchanges: "hey" "hru".

As I'm reading one particular dull conversation, the messages jump to the bottom. He texted me.

"Hold up, he texted me." I inform Axel, who proceeds to squeal and beg to know what it says.

I bring the camera obnoxiously close to my face. "He said," I pause and clear my throat, making my face and tone dramatic. "Hey." I quote.

Axel glares. "You're so dramatic."

"I'm dramatic?" I mock, holding back a laugh. I continue texting Rodrick as Axel and I tease each other.

I ignore how excitement rises in my body when he replies. It's a stupid leftover reflex, that's all.

I burst into laughter. Is it slightly forced...

No?

"What's so funny?" Axel asks as I start wheezing.

"Rodrick has summer school." I snort.

"That's not funny, Y/N." Axel glares, before her eye twitches and she starts laughing hysterically. "He's such an idiot. This is why you guys broke up in the first place."

"Yeah," I agree, before taking a moment to read his next text. "Uhm, Axel," I pause. "He asked me to tutor him... or er, help." I add quietly.

I glance down at the messages again.

Rodrick: can u posbily help me?

Y/N: hahaha u got summer school?!?

Rodrick: yeah... it's only a few days a week though

Y/N: fine ig i'll help

His name looks a bit strange without the little "🖤" beside it.

Who cares.

Axel talks me through it and says I should. Once we hang up though, I set my phone down and stare at the ceiling after popping in the Queen CD I stole from Rodrick so long ago.

Maybe if I had helped him more, and been more patient with him, he wouldn't have to be in summer school.

But it's also his fault. 

~~~~

A/N: FIRST CHAPTER OF PART TWO sorry its kina long i hope u enjoyed WHAT DID YOU THINKED??

"nice try, greggie, but whatever you thought, i already thinked it."

i like smart boys but i swear i make an exception for boys who spell door "dore"

- wheezely