Chapter One No Plans

Y/N POV:

I hate Rodrick Heffley.

My opinion really couldn't be stronger.

He's a stupid, self-centered, lazy, pathetic, rude, arrogant, jerk.

And my worst fear has come true. I always feared one day we'd break up, and as a result fuck up our friend group.

It's happened. I mean, our friend group isn't that bad, but there's obviously tension. We're too close knit for there to be teams or anything, and everyone acts as normal as possible, but it still gets weird.

"Babes, you're gonna have to talk to him at some point." Axel runs their fingers through my hair as I lay on their lap. She's lying in Pennys lap, and we've created a domino effect on Axel's bed.

"No I don't." I pout. I know I'm being petty. I know it's stupid. But I don't care. I just went through a break up and I can feel however I want to feel.

"Honey, it's been two weeks, don't you think we should at least do something as a group?" Axel suggests, absentmindedly braiding my hair.

"Yeah, Y/N, that sounds like a good idea." Penny adds. "It is summer after all, we haven't even done anything besides talk in group chats and made plans that haven't gone anywhere because if Rodrick replies you don't, and if you reply he doesn't."

I sigh. She's not wrong.

"Look, Y/N, if we all hang out as a group, you don't have to even interact with him. We can all just chill and shoot him death stares."

"I don't want you to hate him too." I reply, thoughtlessly picking at my sweater.

"But I do. He broke our little Y/N's heart." Axel coos, squishing my cheeks. I think Penny and her have begun to think of me as their practice child.

"He didn't break my heart." I mumble, but Axel ignores me and makes Penny text the group chat and make plans to hang out at the pool on Saturday.

I text my mom to ask her and she says we'll talk when we get home. I sigh dramatically and toss my phone across the room.

"Y/N, you can't have a hot girl summer if you're moping about some guy." Axel informs me, and I move off their lap and onto the floor.

"I'm not moping."

"Yeah, you need to go flirt with a lifeguard or something when we go to the pool." Penny adds.

"I'm not going to flirt with a lifeguard." I laugh.

"Yeah, but what if one of them is like, really hot?" Axel raises her eyebrows.

"We'll see."

~~~~

"Thanks mom." I kiss her cheek and hop out of the car.

"You have sunscreen? Money for snacks? Phone?" She asks.

I nod exaggeratedly. "Yes ma'am. Thanks mom." I repeat, bounding towards the counter to get into the pool.

The line is fucking ridiculous, and luckily I see my favorite twins, shirtless and bickering.

Malachi looks up and sees me before Jonah. "Hey Y/N!" He shouts, and I ignore people's nasty looks as I cut in line with them. The summer scent of chlorine, sunscreen, and too many people is borderline overwhelming, but also a bit exciting.

Jonah snatches a few crumpled dollar bills from Malachi's hand, and Malachi proceeds to call him an asshole and a bunch of other things I won't bother listing.