IDK How To Comfort People So Let's Poke Holes in Their Cartilage

A/N: imagine being that vhs tape

~~~~

RODRICK POV:

My ears are buzzing and I'm fighting tears. I refuse to fucking cry, but I'm so upset.

I grab my phone and call Y/N. No one else can see me like this.

"Rodrick?" Her voice sounds confused.

"Are– are you busy?" I choke, wiping my eyes as a traitorous tear drips down my cheek.

"No, what's up?" I can hear her blankets rustling. I actually take a deep breath, reassuring myself that Y/N won't judge me.

"My– my mom found out about the party, 'cause of pictures taken and–" I pause. "And she won't let the band perform in the talent show." My voice cracks and I wipe my nose on my sleeve, pissed at myself for crying. "It's just– this could have been our big break, and if we can't perform, what am I even supposed to do after high school?" I trail off, glaring at the ceiling.

I can hear Y/N take a deep breath. "I'm sorry darling," She whispers, and despite my unstable emotions, I smile and my stomach warms at her voice and the name. "I just– this sucks." She's silent, probably thinking of words, but I feel happy with just those. She doesn't need to comfort me, just her caring enough to answer the phone is enough.

"Be on your front porch in fifteen minutes." She commands, breaking the silence. I leap up from my bed involuntarily, my brow furrowed in confusion.

"Uh, baby, I don't know how to tell you this, but I'm grounded." I inform her, sliding shoes on anyway.

"And I'm your smart girlfriend that your mom loves, so meet me outside in fifteen minutes." She hangs up and I sigh. There's no use arguing with Y/N.

I quietly walk to the front door, but of course the fucking door hinge screams like it's a death metal artist.

"Rodrick?" My mom's voice forces me to turn around, guilty. I think she might be able to tell I cried, because her expression changes. She knows I don't fucking cry. "You know you're grounded, young man." She says sternly, probably trying to frighten me or some shit.

"I know," I allow my voice to crack. If I act vulnerable, maybe she'll allow me out. "But Y/N said she needed me to go somewhere."

"Where?" My mom raises an eyebrow. Y/N's name seemed to loosen her up slightly but she's still aware letting me go is not following her "your grounded" rule.

"I'm not sure, she—" I begin, but a horn honking interrupts me.

"Fine," Mom sighs, folding her arms. "Be back in two hours." She gives me an "I mean it" look.

"Yep," I nod, opening the door and sprinting out. Y/N's waves from her dad's car and turns the music down as I get in the passenger seat. "Always" by Blink-182 is playing which makes me smile.

"Hey Rodrick." She says casually, as if her name itself wasn't just enough to make my mom break her own rules.

"Hey Y/N." I buckle my seatbelt as she pulls away from the house. She just got her license and is happy she can drive now. "Where are you taking me?"

"You'll see." She glances at me briefly, a smirk on her face. "I think you'll like it."

"If your plan is to just pull over and make out that works too," I tease, and she appears so flustered I'm surprised we don't crash.

"Rodrick!" She shouts, biting her bottom lip.

"What? Don't act like we haven't before." I raise my eyebrows at her, pretending to be serious.