Kung Fu Kelly

"What the fuck." Tatum muttered to herself as she watched Lauren stomp on the Nigerian players back as she went to run past her. Glancing at the referee, she hoped and she prayed that the referee missed it, but that hope was quickly shot down when the referee blew her whistle just a few seconds later. The referee approached Lauren as Tatum stood nearby, hands on her hips watching the outcome before letting out a deep sigh of relief once the yellow card was pulled out. 

"LJ!" Tatum shouted, motioning with her head for the player to walk away and accept the card. 

Tatum stood in the same position as she watched the Nigerian players fight their corner before she was joined by Leah who had began walking up the pitch. "If this goes to VAR we're fucked." Tatum spoke as she cupped her hand over her mouth to speak to Leah without the cameras catching it. 

"Was it bad?" Leah asked in the same fashion.

"Bad? She actively stood on her, Le. I'm telling you, if this goes to VAR, she's done."

The two stood there together as the referee spoke into her ear piece for a few seconds before making the signal with her hands that she was going to the screen. Tatum threw her head back and groaned. This was already a difficult match for England, and to go a player down just makes the hill into a mountain. "Fuck sake, man." She groaned.

Leah nudged Tatum's side and gestured her head to the big screen in the stadium, the foul being replayed at different angles, making them both wince. Tatum threw her arms up in frustration. She's spoken to Lauren so many times about her decisions, the girl has more talent in her pinky toe than most people could dream of, but time and time again her decisions let her down, it was only a matter of time where her decisions impacted her team in a high pressure environment. 

"Come on." Leah rushed out before grabbing Tatum's arm and pulling her over to Sarina who was waving the girls over.

"Okay, listen!" Sarina shouted over the roar of the crowd. "We know what that means, it's going to get overturned and it won't be good news. We keep the same pressure, the same intensity, okay? It's not brilliant, but we keep going. Do not let your heads drop. Tatum, I want you to cover LJ's position, Leah, don't be afraid to step up into the midfield to play the diagonal. We're all going to have to work hard now, but this is where we play as a team and we help each other. If we press, we all press. If we defend, we defend as a team. Go!" Sarina rushed out, just in time for the referee to walk away from the screen.

"After the off field review, the yellow card for number seven is cancelled. Instead, red card for violent conduct." The cheers from the Australian fans deafened Tatum's ears as LJ walked off the pitch, giving CK a quick hug as she departed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tatum sat on the ground as the team walked to the sidelines ready for penalties. The penalty takers were already decided before the match, knowing penalties will be an option. She could hear the girls talking as they each tried to catch their breath, but her focus was scanning the crowd, trying to see if she could find Katie in the crowd. Her girlfriend had informed her that she would sooner die than wear an England shirt in public, but did concede to at least wearing a white shirt. It didn't take long for Tatum to find her, she was sitting at the front waving her hands in Tatum's direction manically. Tatum smiled and winked before turning her attention back to the girls who were starting to make their way to line up for penalties. 

"Come on then." Beth said as she held a hand out for Tatum to take. The younger smiled and clasped her hand into Beth's allowing her friend to pull her up.