Growing and Learning

Start from the beginning

"Like father like son," I say seriously as I hand Baruch some fruits that he munches on happily. Amoli comes into the room to grab a snack as well. "Athena refuses to sleep," she says seriously and heads back to bed. Then Heidi comes down with Berli following behind as she carries one of the babies and he carries the others as she eats as well as feeds at the same time.

Eden even makes her way down the stairs, "All these babies are taking a toll on me." Anax sighs, "Sorry I wasn't there to pick Baruch up. Was kinda hungry after all the events of the day." "Are you worried about something?" I ask as Eden as well as everyone else makes their way out of the room. He nods, "Leader children being born in the royal family outside the main line is a lot more dangerous than it seems." I sigh, "Royal life politics is probably the worst thing ever." He laughs lightly at my words and then he notices that Baruch is sleeping.

"Time to head to bed before another food run," Anax says seriously. He takes Baruch from me then heads upstairs and puts him into the crib.

I fall asleep quickly only to wake up to find Anax sound asleep and Baruch gone.

"Anax," I say with fear, "Where is Baruch?" Anax gets up quickly and starts asking around. I continue pacing until he makes his way over with Baruch in his arms. I hold him tightly towards me as the fear dissipates. Anax notices this and asks, "Are you scared you are going to lose him?" I nod as I kiss his little nose. Anax hugs us both as he whispers, "I will do my best to protect you." I sigh deeply, "I know you will."

We head to breakfast and I notice a second nanny has been hired. I assume this one is for the grandchildren that are on the way.

I tense though as I look at her because she seems bitter inside and I tighten my hold on Baruch.

Once James sits down, everyone starts eating.

"I just wanted to inform everyone that Alisha will be having her child next month so we have hired a new nanny to help out with the babies," James says kindly, "Also, Amoli has tested positive and will be having twins in the next 2 months. Now that that has been settled, I need everyone to know that the royal duties will be commencing as usual so I will put up the schedule for everyone's jobs that will be done on the monthly. The rules are as follows: 1. No one should know about your pregnancy if you're female. 2. No children under the age of six are allowed to go with you so leave them in the care of someone you trust except for the nanny. 3. You will stay with your partner at all times unless they require otherwise. 4. If you are on your 3rd month, you will not be required to go. 5. If you are sick, you cannot leave the house. 6. All mothers, initial ones, will not be sent far away from the territory. 7. My sons and their wives or my daughters and their sons will be required to go farther as required. 8. Mothers cannot go if their child is not 2 months old even if they are human. 9. Remember your training please."

Everyone laughs at the last one.

"If anymore need to be added I will do so when necessary," he says kindly, "please go about doing the things needed and I will get to scheduling."

Everyone disperses.

Everyone heads to work or school, while Anax and I start packing because James personally infromed us that we need to go to Sector 8 for our royal duties. Some of the maids help out as I hold Baruch in my arms.

"So sad we won't be here for Alisha's birth next month," I say with a frown, "Imma miss you Baruch." Anax nods and sighs, "It is the life of a royal. At least we will get to see the baby when we get back and any others that are born." I laugh as I stare at my little boy's yellow eyes, "I wish you could come with but Mother Eden will take good care of you. Did Berli name the babies yet?" "Yeah," Anax says as he hands a bag to a man, "Azai for the firstborn and Aziza for the secondborn." I smile as I think about them, "At least Heidi won't have to part from them for a time." "Once we are back," Anax says seriously, "they will have to go to sector 3 then Alisha will go to sector 2. Amoli is going like us right now. Mother Ellerie will care for Athena while Brody accompanies here. At least she doesn't have to go to work."

I laugh lightly at his nervous rambling, "You okay?" "Just wish we didn't have to go so far away," he says as he look at Baruch, "I wish he could come with." I sigh as I hand him over to Anax so he can get a chance to say goodbye as well.

Soon, we walk downstairs to find Amoli and Brody waiting for us.

Everyone hugs them tightly.

Brody announces, "Amoli and I have decided to hand over Athena to the care of Mother Ellerie. May she be in good health at our return." Ellerie takes her gently then Amoli curtsies while Brody bows. There are tears in their eyes as they leave the home to wait for their transport.

Anax does the same, "Athena and I have decided to grant the care of Baruch to Mother Eden until our arrival back. May he be in good health at our return." Eden smiles kindly at his words then we do exactly what Amoli and Brody did. As I walk through those doors, my heart sinks as I realise that their words are a final goodbye because we may never return back, ever.

Once we exit, we hug Amoli and Brody as they ride horses to make their way to sector 4. Then our horses come and we get on as we make our way to sector 8 that is the furthest away and apparently quite a dangerous sector that is currently covered in snow as well as its precarious position on top of a mountain.

We begin our journey with a carriage as well as an army following behind that is guarding us as well as our items. We have very few pairs of clothes for summer and mostly for winter. On the way, there are some inns but sometimes there will be nothing for miles.

As I look into the distance, I wonder if this is the opportunity for someone to kidnap Baruch.