~*~|| Prologue ||~*~

~*~||~***~***~***~||~*~

"Is this truly necessary, Swami ?"

Devi Parvati's melodious voice broke her husband's meditative silence gently. He turned his head to look at her and found his heart twinge at the sadness painted on that pulchritudinous face. 

His wife was Jagatmata, after all. The thought of one of her children going through such agony was bound to make her mother's heart feel desperate. 

"The struggle is for establishing a Dharmarajya, Devi. The penance for it will be hard. Or else, there would be no point, will it?", The Lord of Destruction said peacefully. 

"That may be the truth Mahadeva, but why must only he suffer such acute pain. Why couldn't Narayana, have chosen someone else to be the pall bearer?", Adi Shakti asked, still not convinced as her lithe fingers twisted the edge of her gold bordered saree, agitatedly. 

Shiva finally turned towards his consort and took both of her hands in his own, before they could tear into the silken fabric of her pallu. She turned her multicoloured gaze towards her Ardhaang and let the lone tear which had gathered in her eye spill on her moon like cheek. 

Kailash Parvat seemed to agree with Mataa Gauri as a silent wail of discontent blew through Bholenaath's wild matted dreadlocks. 

"Think about it Priye. Who amongst Aryavarta's stalwarts of justice can successfully pass through this trial by fire? Who amongst the super warriors of this generation, can withstand such pressure and come out unscathed? Who has the fortitude, the strength and the power to endure such agony? Who can still look at his Gods with faith and reverence even after they have dragged him through miserable heights of pain?" 

Mahadeva's words had echoed throughout the mountains of Kailash to reach at all the three corners of Devaloka. It was a warning for contention. If anyone had any doubt about Lord Palanhara's choice then they would be welcome to debate with Lord Shambhu.

"Tell me my beloved, of whom can you think when such impossible tribulations come to mind?"

Parvati wiped the tears away from her eyes before they could fall again, knowing very well, her soft hearted husband couldn't bear her suffering. His words had settled her a little as in her heart, she knew that her divine brother has chosen rightly. Yet a mother's heart is not easily appeased. 

Kailashnatha understood that very well so he continued, his deep prussian eyes sympathetic. 

"Priye, I believe in Narayana's plan. And more than that, I believe in his choice. He has always been my ardent devotee and has pleased me through his penance many a times. It will pain me just as much as it would hurt Lord Vishnu, himself. Rest assure, even if times are dark ahead, he won't be alone."

Parvati smiled finally and Kailash Parvat glowed in her exuberance. There was determination in her eyes though and her husband knew fully well that she would not sit idly in the side lines and let her child be used without repercussions. Divine purposes or not. 

"I trust in both of you Swami, but rest assured I will be right here, watching every move. He is my devotee too. In this convoluted plan of yours' my beloved daughters would suffer too. There is only so much I can take before interfering", Mahishasura Mardini informed kindly yet firmly. 

"I would have expected nothing less than that, beloved", Nataraja, replied benignly. 

It would be foolish to challenge his consort when she assumes her notoriously protective stance. It would be like a mouse challenging a lioness.  

So from their heavenly abode, Shiva and Shakti, sat in wait for Fate to cast the dice of Aryavarta's destiny, eager to see how their children would handle this new change, which has the power to uproot their very world, yet again.