"You look stressed."

I do my best not to stiffen, though my heart is beating so loudly, I'm sure he can hear it. Despite my better judgement, I am afraid. I'm too confused and burnt out to analyze everything and properly accept or dismiss my hypothesis. Maybe I'm right. Maybe I'm wrong. But if I'm writing, I'm forced to cuddle against the person who bled my mother dry. Who strangled my husband.

"It's been..." I can't finish the sentence and I let out a low laugh instead. It comes out incredibly nervous. "Well, a lot."

"Of course. It's only natural that it comes crashing down at some point. I'm sort of impressed by how well you're handling everything. And it's good to see you not blaming yourself." He smiles as he says this last bit.

He has a beautiful smile. I've noticed this before. Just like I've noticed that he's a gorgeous man.

Steve just died.

I suck air through my teeth and look away. I should not be here with Daniel. I should not be attracted and terrified by him at the same time. What am I even doing? But then again, what else can I do?

He frowns and glances down at me. The scrutiny is frightening and I'm sure he'll see the truth in my eyes, will realize that I'm now suspecting him of killing all those people. And if he really did it, I'm next. My heart stutters in my chest and I do my best to keep my breath even.

"You're exhausted," he declares.

"I'm... Yes, I am."

"You should sleep."

I definitely should, but I don't think I can. Because I'm still afraid I might kill someone else. I'm also afraid he will kill me or someone else.

"I'll watch over you," he says with a smile. "Make sure you don't go off killing people." He means it as a joke, but it hits much too close to home.

"And who's going to watch over you?" I ask before I can help myself.

I expect him to stiffen, to glare at me and show his darkness. Prove why I should have been a lot more cautious. Instead he just grins, a naughty glint in his eyes.

"I think that ship has sailed. Someone should've watched over me before I took you to bed."

He's teasing me as if nothing happened, as if we're here to retreat from the world and find solace. Even if I know better, it's so easy to take up his invitation, kiss him back, fall into bed with him. His body drives every dark thought out of my mind and I need it so badly, it hurts. 

When I wake up, it's dark outside. Daniel is with me in bed, still naked, one arm draped around me. I allow myself all of five seconds to enjoy this before panic sets in again.

Did I kill anyone? Did he? At least he didn't kill me. My heart still beats like a drum against my sternum. The fact that I don't know is worse than finding an actual body. I can't just lay here with him pressed against mine. I need to move and I need to think.

As subtly as I can, I squeeze out from under his arm. It rests on the bed. He doesn't even stir, his face more peaceful than I've ever seen it. I swear, he looks like an angel. How could he ever hurt anyone? But then his distorted image comes to mind from when he was taken by the shadows, and I shudder. That person could very well kill.

What if both of us are actually innocent? What if those shadows could take hold of anyone and cause them to do anything? Get into people's minds and bodies and force them to do unspeakable acts of evil, maybe even to themselves. It would explain the lack of fingerprints and any other clues. The more I think about it, the more I believe that should I have done it, there would be other clues. Smudges, footprints... anything.