Phobia (4)

The television flickered, casting a dancing shadow across the walls of the dimly lit room. Seungmin, sprawled out on the threadbare couch, flicked it off with the tip of his finger. He glanced over at Jeongin, who was huddled in the corner, knees tucked under his chin, staring intently at his phone screen. Seungmin smiled softly to himself, reaching out to brush a lock of hair from Jeongin's forehead.

Seungmin's phone buzzed suddenly, interrupting his thoughts. He glanced down at the screen, recognizing the familiar name immediately. It was his mother. He hesitated as his mother hadn't talked to him in five years.

"Um, hello?" he asked, worried.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" Seungmin's mother yelled, obviously annoyed with him.

"What did I-"

"What did you do? WHAT DID YOU DO?! Well, you accused Hyunjin of abusing you when he didn't even do anything!"

That last sentence was obviously not true. Was she there when he raped him? Was she there when he made negative comments about his body? Was she there when he cheated on him?

Tears started to form in his eyes as the woman angrily shouted into the phone.

"Hyungie, are you okay?" Jeongin asked innocently.

"Um, yeah, I'm fine," Seungmin replied, obviously lying.

The latter ran to their shared bedroom, crying his eyes out.

Seungmin sat there, numb, as his mother continued to berate him. He couldn't understand why she was being so cruel. He had thought she would believe him, would support him. Instead, she was siding with the person who had hurt him the most. The weight of her words felt like a lead blanket, pressing down on his chest, making it impossible to breathe.

Somehow, he heard a knock on the door. Seungmin didn't know who it was, but he didn't have the energy to get up and answer. As he opened, the door, he realised who it was.

It was him.