Chapter 1

The evening hung heavy with tension, a palpable weight pressing down upon my shoulders as I stood before the mirror, my reflection a distorted image of the turmoil within. My emerald-green gown clung to my frame, its rich fabric whispering tales of wealth and privilege. The emerald jewelry set adorned my neck, ears, and wrists, glinting in the soft glow of the chamber's lights. And atop my head sat a crown, its intricate design a testament to the power and prestige of the Benetian name.

But despite the opulence surrounding me, my heart was heavy with resentment, the bitter taste of anger lingering upon my tongue. For tonight, I was to dine with the Handlys, a family whose name was synonymous with strength and victory in the eyes of the Capitol, and whose son, Cato, was to be my betrothed.

I scoffed at the very thought, my fingers curling into fists at my sides as I recalled the argument that had erupted earlier that day. My mother and father, ever eager to climb the social ladder, had seen fit to arrange this union without so much as a word of consultation. And when I had dared to voice my objections, they had dismissed them with a wave of their hands, insisting that I would learn to love him in time.

"Learn to love him," I spat the words out like venom, my reflection mirroring the disdain etched upon my features. "As if I could ever grow to love a District filth."

But my protests had fallen on deaf ears, and now here I stood, a prisoner of circumstance, bound by the chains of duty and obligation. With a heavy sigh, I tore my gaze away from the mirror, knowing that further contemplation would only serve to deepen the ache in my chest.

Resigned to my fate, I made my way to the dining hall, the click-clack of my heels echoing against the marble floors like a solemn requiem. As I entered the room, all eyes turned to me, their scrutiny like daggers piercing through the façade of composure I had meticulously crafted.

The Handlys sat at the head of the table, their expressions a curious blend of anticipation and apprehension. And beside them sat Cato, his gaze cold and calculating as it swept over me, a silent challenge lurking within its depths.

I took my seat opposite him, my jaw clenched tight as I fought to maintain my composure. But with each passing moment, the tension between us grew, a palpable force threatening to consume us both.

Words were exchanged, polite pleasantries masking the animosity that simmered beneath the surface. But it was in the silence that followed that the true battle began, a silent war of wills waged across the expanse of the dining table.

Rude comments were exchanged, thinly veiled insults disguised as jests, each barb cutting deeper than the last. And as the evening wore on, our faces twisted into masks of disdain, a silent rebellion against the shackles that bound us together.

But amidst the chaos, there was a flicker of something else, something unexpected and unbidden. A spark of defiance, perhaps, or maybe something more...something that whispered of possibility in the darkness of our shared contempt.

And as I met Cato's gaze across the table, a sliver of recognition passed between us, a silent acknowledgment of the tangled web fate had woven around us.

For in that moment, amidst the ruins of our mutual disdain, I saw the glimmer of something else—a flicker of understanding, a promise of what could be.

But whether it was a promise of salvation or damnation remained to be seen I ignored it for I would not let anything happen between me and this... thing!