Chapter 7: "Worse and worse..."

Five days later, Juliette's sickness had not tamed down, even after a visit to a local doctor. When the family arrived at a hospital one day, a professional doctor told the group that Juliette had pnuemonia based on her fever, heavy coughs, and her frequent muscle shaking. She had to stay in a hospital. (What Kelile was saying about his mother and the illness happening to my sister really true?) Don had never thought that his sister would have her life terminated in a matter of weeks. That can't be true, no. Don remembered hearing one of Janice's friends surviving pnuemonia two years ago. Maybe Juliette will live, he had his high hopes for Western medicine and his belief of her cure. 

   As he was drifting in his thoughts, he suddenly head a small voice echoing in his mind, " -on, Don, I need help." a young boy's voice nagged.

   "Wh - What? Oh, I am sorry. I must have been dazing," Don apologized, "What do you need help on?" Matt asked him a question about a few Greek gods, and his friend gave him advice and showed him a technique on recognizing their names.

   "And if you attatch a symbol to each God, you can easily remember the name when you think of that symbol. For example, if you think of a shoe, the name Hermes will pop in your head!"

   "Thanks, that made it a lot easier, I think. Say, is your sister doing okay? I heard she's in the hospital."

   "Her sickness is growing terrible. I am worried."

   "Don't worry, your sister's strong."

   "Thank you," Don checked the clock, "Well, it is my time to leave now. I will see you tommorow."

   "Yeah, take care. Thanks for the help!"

   That night, Don went out to the backyard and approached the oak tree, and wasn't surprised to see his dead brother there. He hovered aimlessly over the bulging roots of the tree, and little acorns fell through his body and landed with a soft thud on the ground.

  Don sighed, "Kelile, my sister... she - "

   ' - is feeling more sick than before.' he finished. Before Don could reveal his confusion, Kelile explained, 'I'm a spirit, remember? I can tell where your sister is. Is there anything else you want to know?'

   "I have recalled that last time you said your mother died of the same sickness that my sister currently has. Do you think..." he let his voice trail off in order to recevie an answer from his ghostly brother. But all he received was a deafening silence, "W-Well?"

   'Let us not dwell on that very much. True, my mother has died from this illness, and so did her grandmother.'

   "Wait, I think I remember my mother having pneumonia when she was little, but she survived it."

   'And this is all leading to your sister.'

   "But pneumonia cannot be inherited, yet this is truly strange." Don mused, "Unless..."

   'This sickness doesn't seem to be based on by child. Yes, I do visit hospitals in my spare time and listen to doctors. I think that, based on what I have learned on Western medicine, it has to do something with the... genetics of your body?'

   "I was thinking something along that path. My family line has weak lungs. That's what one of my family doctors told me and Aamina when we came to America. I think that's it! We were vulnerable to lung infections and illnesses."

   'That could be the case. I am no judge here.'

   "Thank you for helping me figure out this dilemma, Kelile. I will see you soon."  

   'Modern time is very strange, indeed. Okay, I will see you later.' He misted away just like his other midnight exits. 

   (This is all making sense, but I do not want any of this to make sense in the first place! I cannot be terrified of the future now. If Juliette will have her life ended, then... I don't know what to do.)

~~~

   The next morning was a beautiful Saturday, and with the permission of his foster parents, Don walked by himself to the neighborhood park. He was a bit relieved when he saw other kids his age playing at the swings and see-saws. He even recognized four other kids, even a small boy with Downs syndrome, "Hello, Don!"

   "Hello, Jim, everyone!" Don waved to the boy with Down Syndrome and the other children. The small boy broke a grin and waved his full arm.

   "Hi Don." was all he said, then he went back at attempting to ride the see-saw with the help of some friends. Don went back and climbed the ladder to the top of the slide. He only sat and didn't slide, just watching the kids play down below. Woodchips flew everywhere as the children kicked them up in the air (I used to play like that with Aamina back at Ethiopia. We did not have swing sets but a ball had sufficed us).

   He decided to slide down the slide and ran to the forest, "Hey, Don. Where are you going?" shouted one of the girls, "Come play with us!"

   "I will be right back." he said, and he raced to the forest at the edge of the park. Deep inside the forest, the cool embrace of the forest's evergreen-scented (evergreen, how did that come to mind?) arose in Don's mostrils. It was a beautiful scent. If somehow, if possible, if his sister died, would she miss breathing this air?

   The sun was now hidden by the clouds, Don decided to call him, "Kelile! Kelile, are you here?" No response, "Kelile, it is me! Bekelu!" But still, he felt no response, "Oh that is odd. I cannot feel his presence here. He must be with my sister." He ran back to the playground, sandals slapping the face of the earth and finally the shredded woodchips of the area.

   "I am back!" 

   "Great! We're about to go the lake and feed the ducks!" said one of the boys with a freckled face. He pointed to a girl with red hair who carried a bag of bread.

   "I would love to come. Have you ever held a duck?" Don asked the freckled boy.

   "No, but Jessie has." he said, nodding to the red-haired girl.

   "I like ducks." Jim said, and soon everyone got engaged in a conversation of duck-catching, -feeding, -holding, and every other category that seemed to pop in their little minds. When they arrived at the lake, dozens of ducks came into view and hustled their small fat bodies to the group. Don and the others threw pieces of bread at them, and when they all ran out, about 40 ducks creeped up towards them for more food. The kids laughed as they ran from the quacking fowl, "Wow, that was fun, I guess I will be leaving now. Bye guys!" Don waved and left the group, and he went back home.

   (tick tock)