Chapter 4: "Questions" Part 2

Don heard his sister shuffling underneath the covers. He heard her muttering a short sentence, but he didn't hear his name. (What's going on?)

   "Juliette?" Don whispered. She faced him from her bed. Her black face peeked out from underneath the dark green covers: another of Mrs. Greene's beloved accessories.

   "Don, have you not gone to bed yet?" she asked him.

   "I just wanted to ask it I could do to church with you. I am sorry for waking you up this late."

   "It's alright, it's not that late. Sure you can come to church with me. Can you wake up at 5 AM?"

   "I can set up the alarm." Don suggested, and then he was suggested by his sister to eat a breakfast of a small egg sandwich and a bowl of mint-chocolate chip ice-cream, which was Juliette's favorite frozen treat, "Juliette, can I ask you something." he asked while he walked over to his empty bed and snuggled under the covers. They were cool to the touch.

   "Of course, but make it quick, I want to go back to sleep."

   "There has been a man following me in the past few days," and with no following response from his sister, "I do not know who he is, but I assume that he is a relative of ours, is he not?"

   "I know who you're talking about, but you have nothing to worry about. He is family. He just doesn't dress American."

   "Did he come from Africa?"

   "Yes."

   "What's his name?"

   "Charles, but he was adopted after his grandfather passed away. His real name is Kelile, which means "my protector". He is watching over us, but don't worry."

   "Yet I am still confused: what do you mean by "watching over us"?"

   "Maybe I shouldn't have riddled you," she smiled, "it means that he is a spirit, Bekelu. He had died some time ago and has been trapped on this land for a purpose. But he hasn't told me that because he wanted you to know first. I don't have to know, I'd like you to know the information. Don't be scared of him, he won't do anything. He's very nice, you'll meet him at the church."

 She glanced at the alarm clock behind her, "It is getting late, Bekelu. Good night."

   "Good night, Aamina." He switched his lamp off, and drifted into a sea of darkness. (I know what's going on now, most of it at least.). He dreamt that he was in that same tree-infested area shone by sunlight near his school premises. Standing there in front of him was a figure of light, but it didn't have any physical features, nor hands and feet. He wondered if this dream foreshadowed an actual meeting with his dead relative. He hoped for the best and finally moved on to another dream.

~~~

   The siblings woke up at 5:10 A.M. because poor Don had a bit of trouble waking up quickly. They both ate the choice breakfast she had picked out for them, and after cleaning up and leaving the house, Juliette locked the door softly and the kids walked to Hugh's Church.

   "It is chilly outside, Juliette. Aren't you cold?" Don was glad that he brought a light sweater with him to beat the upcoming autumn chills. The chills shook his bones.

   "No, I'm fine. Let's keep going." They strode through many empty neighborhoods and drowsy dogs who didn't have the strength to bark at the strangers passing their territories. They arrived at the building soon enough, a large white building with stained glass windows. There were annual flower gardens popping with varieties in the front, and the path leading to the door were speckled with a mixture of pebbles and rocks. It felt like skipping on the yellow brick road to the Wizard of Oz.

   "You'll meet him here, if he's there. I know he is." Juliette confirmed, and they entered the church. The inside was hushed except for the not-quite-loud snoring of an old African American woman, "Poor Mrs. Wickle, she's always tired."

   "I have not seen a day when she is never sleeping." Don giggled. They sat three benches from the podium, and above the podium was the Lord himself, Jesus Christ, crucified on the fated wooden cross. They sat, and he glanced at his sister to find her whispering in her cupped hands.

   (I should start calling my ancestor). Don cupped his hands in the way of his sister and beckoned the young man to come to the church, "Hello, my sister and I have come to church today, and I wish to see you." he thought to himself, but all he saw in his closed eyes were a pitched black and the continuous faint drone of the old lady. He opened his eyes and looked around, and just then a voice shot in his head.

   'Bekelu, close your eyes!' a voice commanded him gently.

   "Oh! Sorry!" Don shut them again, and waited for a reply.

   'It is very nice to see you once again. Do you like going to church in the morning?' it asked. Don guessed that his tame voice was his Ethiopian ancestor.

   "It makes me tired, but I am carrying out a good deed by attending church and sacrificing my sleep."

   The voice chuckled, 'That is a very nice accomplishment for a small boy like you, but you need your sleep, otherwise you will not be able to carry out good deeds at this church.'

   "I understand. May I ask you question?" Don said.

   'You may ask.'

   "My sister has told me that you are watching us for a purpose. Can you explain to me why you have such a purpose the next time we meet?"

   'Absolutely,  Bekelu... I'm afraid I must leave. It has been a pleasure talking with you.'

   "As with you, too. Good-bye!" and Don opened his eyes. His sister was watching him, probably have finished some minutes ago.

   "You have talked with Kelile?" she asked, and her brother nodded, "Great! Now let's get on to school." The both departed from the church, leaving a now-awaking Mrs. Wickle and went back home.