Chapter 3: "Questions" Part 1

The dinner table was quiet at half past seven except for the stiffled ticking of the kithen clock which was shaped as an owl. Their foster parents, Mr. and Mrs. Greenes, Don, and Juliette picked and ate vegtables and roast chicken. Such noise couldn't be tolerated by Mrs. Greenes, so she was the first to break the silence, "So, Don, Juliette," she nodded and acknowledged each sibling, "We've heard that you've been making excellent grades at school." she beamed and tried to lighten the mood.

   "Yes, Mrs. Greene, Don and I had discussed the idea." Juliette said, acknowledging the great plan.

   "That's great! So we decided that we should do something special for this short occassion. It's your reward, kids, you should decide." she smiled encouragingly. (I am glad she is trying to light up our moods.)

   "Can we go to SeaWorld?" Don asked, "I have never seen the dolphins and seals up-close before, and I would like to touch a marine animal instead of watching them on TV."

   "How about Disneyland in California? That's a good start." Juliette offered, shoving a piece of chicken in her mouth. It was one of her favorite dinners.

   "Nah, it's too pricey. SeaWorld is fine," Mr. Greene said, twitching his hairy moustache and sneezed, a tremendous blow that shook the whole room. It never failed to make anyone jump, "allergies. Still, we're saving up that much cash only to be spent excessively on one place."

   "Steve, don't be so picky on money!" Mrs. Greene exclaimed with a light slap to her husband's shoulder. It couldn't be blamed: Juliette and Don were the 15th pair of kids that this couple has fostered, and they had stopped with these youngsters because financial needs were increasing, but although frugal Mr. Greene had a soft spot for helping others, including helping those to find their true families in return for the ones that they have lost.

   "What I'm saying is that we could save money to go to other places, like the museum twenty minutes away from here. It was built two weeks ago. My friend's brothers have a keen interest in biology and mechanics, and now because of them it's becoming a local hotspot for families."

   "I like that place, too." Don piped up.

   "Hush, Don. You don't need to pressurize Mr. and Mrs. Greene." Juliette said to her little brother.

   "It's alright, Juliette. It's a little boy's curiosity. We'll take both of you to many places as you like. Is that fine with the two of you?" The kids nodded.

   "Sounds about right! Okay, make sure to clean your plates." said Mrs. Greene.

   Don and Juliette finished and cleaned their plates. Finally placing them into the dishwasher, they both headed upstairs. His big sister headed up the stairway in a hurry to refresh herself for night's rest. Meanwhile, Don grabbed his backpack which he had left beiside the sofa and began the last of his English homework. Although he could interpret some of Shakespeare's works at a boy his age, he could not read any sign of foreshadow on his sister's face.

   He approached Mrs. Greene at the kitchen where she was organizing the plates, "Yes, Don?" Her eyelids were dusted with green eye shadow, this time a majestic dark green that almost resembled evergreen.

   "Can I go to church with Juliette tomorrow morning?"

   "I suppose why not if you can wake up at 5:30." he shrugged, washing the dish rag that she used to dry the plates, later wringing it and sliding it between the space of the fridge handle.

   "I can do that." he looked at the owl clock beside the microwave: 9:30. Mrs. Greene did, too.

   "You should be going to bed now, Don. I don't want a sleepy-bug wandering the house." she smiled jokingly. Don returned that smile, and jogged up the stairs.

   While he was brushing his teeth, he was thinking of that man. He would go to church with his sister tomorrow and ask God if this man was a long-lost relative who came here illegally to the United States. No, he wouldn't be that judgmental. He would simply question the motive of the mysterious person and why he was here. He put his toothbrush beside the sink and wiped his face.

   A leaf scraped the bathroom window. Don froze, and in front of his eyes, another leaf brushed against the cool surface of the glass, and then five more. Curious, he stepped closely to the window, peering at their small backyard empty except for a large garden and an elderly oak tree.

   There was no one there, or anything at this case, "It was the wind." he said, but to be sure he lifted the window a crack and stuck his finger outside: no breezes stirred his skin, "Odd." He strained his head around to scan the tree. He accidently sniffed some dust from the blinds and sneezed, and when he opened his eyes, there was a misty glowing figure, pale as the moon.

   It was him, three times already. The same tattered clothes, the same smiling face, the same height. Don knew that the man had waved back at him at school, and lifting the blinds an inch and squeezing a few fingers in between he returned a short wave. The man beamed and waved back, then his mouth started to move. The peculiar thing was that Don could hear the voice echoing in his mind: It is very nice to meet you, Bekelu. I will see you again, and next time I will explain.

   He then blinked out of existence. Don exited the bathroom and headed to his bed, surprised that his sister was awake.