A trial to remember

Start from the beginning

"Yes." Maizono said with certainty, his tone changing the temperature of the room to absolute zero.

Monokuma laughed, his paws over his mouth.
"This is about to get interesting.."

"Okay then... everyone, close your eyes, and whoever did it - raise your hand!" Called Ishimaru.

"Ishi, I'm really starting to get a soft spot for you. But please try and use your head." Maizono spoke, his voice harsh.

"Yeah, don't be a goddamned idiot. Why would they raise their hand?" Mondo mocked.

Kirigiri then silenced them all.
"Before we move on and start the trial, can I ask a question real quick?"

A pause.

"What's going on with... those pictures."

She was referring to the rather morbid black and white pictures taking up space in the stands. They stood to the same height of the student it represented. They were both either side of Ishimaru, his left held Junko Enoshima - and his right Sayaka. Both had a big X crossed out in red ink, likely to mimic blood. A bow sat on top of both.

"I'd feel awful if they got left out just because they died! Friendship penetrates even deaths barrier!" Monokuma responded, his voice cheery.

"Friendship... penetrates?" Yamada all but moaned.

"Yamada, moan like that over my dead sister's portrait again, and the next trial will be yours." Y/n gave him a harsh glare, which made him panic and whine.

"Okay, but what about that other empty seat?" Ludenberg asked, her accent somewhat soothing in the setting of the trial. Like a lullaby at a car crash.

"There were only sixteen of us to begin with, so why are there seventeen seats?"

"Oh, no reason. It's just that our little court room here - can technically fit up to seventeen people." Monokuma explained.
"Okay, that about does it for the preamble. Get ready to get started!"

"First up is the case summary. Now, let the class trial begin!"

There was a pause, but things kicked off quickly.

"I assert that the victim was Miss Sayaka Maizono!" Ishimaru - helpfully - pointed out.

"....yeah we know that part already..." Hagakure replied.

"And the murder took place in Naegi's room." Togami stated.

"In the bathroom.." Asahina clarified.

"So it seems most likely that the killer must have taken her by surprise while she was in the bathroom.. She didn't even have a chance to defend herself..." Fujisaki solemnly said.

"No, thats wrong-" Naegi all but yelled, pointing at the poor terrified girl as he did.

"Jeez, Naegi, chill. But he's right. She wasn't taken by surprised, the dorm room shows clear evidence of a struggle." Maizono carried on for Naegi.

"A struggle?" The programmer asked.

Naegi took this one, nodding. "Between Sayaka and the killer, of course."

"So you're saying.. Sayaka wasn't caught by surprise in the bathroom?"

"She must of been attacked in the main room first - and then, she ran to the bathroom to try and hide." Ludenberg concluded.
"The killer followed her in, and that's when they finished the job."

Maizono nodded in her direction.

"That much should have been obvious after taking one look at the scene. It shouldn't even need to be explained." Togami chided.