Chapter Two

Derek

We had a place to start, but the only help I had was Stiles. The kid with noodle arms and a baseball bat. He wouldn't be much help, really. He was just coming along because Scott was his best friend and Kira wouldn't let me go alone. She thought it would be best for her to stay with Lydia, considering whatever those people drugged her with made her extremely sick. 

"I'm sorry you have to drive all the way to Mexico with me," Stiles apologized over the phone. He had dropped me off at my place so I could get things ready to take with us and he was doing the same. All I was taking was a a small bag with clothes and other things I would need. Maybe even a gun, just in case things went wrong and Stiles needed something to protect himself. 

"I guess it could be worse," I replied from across the room. He was on speaker so I could finish packing. He called so we could talk about what we needed to take. Not that I needed his help with that, but he sure had a lot of questions. 

"Should I bring my baseball bat?" he asked seriously. He didn't give me a chance to answer before saying, "of course I should! Why wouldn't I take my precious bat?" I swear, this was going to kill me. Or I was going to kill him.

"Maybe it could be worse," I murmured, shaking my head. "This is going to be a long ride."

"Derek, I'm on my way to get you," Stiles stated, oblivious to the fact that I was basically insulting him. Sometimes he acted pretty stupid. 

"Alright, see you soon," I replied as he hung up the phone.

I finished packing the essentials in my bag and took a seat on the couch, waiting for Stiles. I knew he was a good guy and all, but he was annoying. I had no idea how long I would be able to stand him. Just tonight was enough for me, never mind a trip to Mexico! It'd be torture. What if he talked to much? What if he stopped to many times to use the bathroom? God knows his piece of crap jeep would break down at least once.

I waited a few minutes longer before Stiles showed up holding his baseball bat. "Ready for our road trip?" he asked, a little too perky for my taste. Maybe that's why I found him annoying. He was the opposite of me. I was dark, sometimes sarcastic, and always kind of moody. I knew this. But Stiles was never like that. He wasn't dark. You know, besides that time when he was all possessed and stuff, but that wasn't actually him.

I smacked him in the back of the head as I walked past him, ignoring his question. We'd have plenty of time to talk on the way there. I didn't really want to talk to him, but being on the road for that long would get boring as hell if we didn't talk at some point.

"Ouch!" Stiles complained, following behind me. "That hurt." 

"It wasn't supposed to feel good, Stiles," I replied without looking back at him. 

Once outside, I threw my things in the back next to his and took my seat. Stiles wasn't far behind. He quickly jumped up into his seat and took a deep breath. He glanced at me, but only for a few short seconds. He seemed nervous around me, which I found kind of funny.

"Let's get this over with," I muttered as he started the car. I hoped we found them soon, because this wasn't going to work. I was either going to end up hating Stiles's guts by the end of this trip, or I was going to get overly attached to him. The first one seemed ten times more likely.