My father lets out a disdainful scoff, striding past Rick to thrust the papers against his chest. Making him stumble backwards. "You'll hear from my lawyer," he warns, his tone brimming with threat. He locks arms with my mother, and then heads calmly toward the front door. I stand, fixating on the miserable man before me.

"Let's go, Koa! Time to leave," my father calls out, beckoning.

I steal a final glance at Maya. She's avoiding eye contact, fixed on the floor, leaning against the wall. Approaching her, I reach out hesitatingly... hoping she'll join me. "Maya..." I start softly, but she aggressively swats my hand away, barely audible as she whispers, "Don't touch me."

It stings, and I shake my head in confusion. Why doesn't she understand? I thought I was helping her, doing her a favor. The truth is out now, but instead of relief, she's angry with me? I realize there's nothing more I can do but turn and walk away. I guess it must be difficult to discover that your father is a complete joke...

Heading towards the door, Sera and her parents trail behind. I dash off the porch toward my parents, who are already seated in the car. Sera shoots me a look of disgust as they approach their parked car, but I brush it off. Climbing into the backseat, my father speeds off, already heatedly talking to our lawyers on the phone. Glancing back at Maya's house, I can't help but wonder what's happening inside now.

****

I find myself seated in the backyard lounge, the sun already hot on my skin, and ever since my announcement at Maya's house yesterday, my father's been incessantly glued to his phone. He's still in yesterday's clothes, but now his hair's all messy from running his hands through it in frustration, and his shirt is crumpled. I don't think he's slept at all.

He's pacing by the pool, chatting on the phone. I watch from a distance, sensing it's not a great conversation. Checking my own phone, still no reply from Maya. I sigh, brainstorming how to fix things, how to get her to open up and drop her guards...

Looking back, I haven't exactly done anything to earn her trust. Not at all.

I'm thinking back on every choice I've made since Dad told me to pursue her. Who knew it would all come to this? My mother strolls over from the kitchen, her curly hair still a mess, carrying two iced coffees. She hands me one as she leans on the sofa.

"Thanks," I mutter, grumpily.

I haven't closed one eye since yesterday. "How long has he been on the phone?" I ask my mother, with a fascinated twist. She sighs, settling next to me. "I don't think he's hung up since we drove off yesterday," she says, squinting at him.

We sit quietly for a while, sipping our coffee and enjoying the sun. Out of the blue, my mother speaks up: "Your father believes that working until he drops will somehow make... everything right." There's a hint of frustration and sadness in her voice.

I lift my head from the couch, squinting in the sunlight. And her complex expression makes me feel like this isn't just about the resort. "What do you mean?" I ask, my vision tinted blue from the bright sunlight.

Then she shakes her head slowly. "Nothing, dear. Just... I hope you know he's really doing the best he can." She gently brushes some fluff off my head before taking a deep breath. "He might not know how to say it, but he's really grateful for you," she says.

Grateful for me? That's very confusing and strange. Every part of me feels like my father hates me. It's hard to believe and maybe she's just trying to get me to make up with him. But then again, my mother is not a liar.

She frowns, gazing at the palm trees swaying in the distance of our yard. I wonder if there was a conversation last night that I missed. But I'm too exhausted to dwell on it. My mind is spinning with thoughts, ideas, questions... making it hard to keep track.