Chapter 4

Ángel was about to refute her, but he couldn't because deep down he knew she was right. He himself would kick her out of his company's building just by seeing how she looked like an Indian mixed with a drugged hippie.

"Then I will give you work," he said, and as soon as he did, he regretted it.

Nashira looked at Angel with a mixture of surprise and disbelief. In this world everything was possible, yes sir.

"Wow, Angel. I thought you were one of those who never took risks, but you proved otherwise" Nashira told him, now impressed "employ me? That's crazy. Awesome! That proves that there is a non-materialistic side within you, and I like it".

"B...but I'm not totally sure. I am not part of human resources, so it is not in my hands whether they hire you or not" he replied, trying to back off smoothly from his mistake "although I could still ask them to consider you as an option".

Nashira quickly noticed the man regretted his impulsive proposal, so she gladly gave him a way out.

"Don't worry for me, okay? I don't need the job. Anyway, I'll go to the mountains with Lie soon as soon as I get the money for the ticket".

On one hand, Angel felt relieved she refused his proposal and freed him from a potential problem in his workplace. On the other, he thought this woman could also be very stubborn; in other words, what did it cost her to accept the only possibility of formal employment that she would receive in her life? She already accepted his invitation to eat and to bind up her wounds with all the ease in the world, why did this have to be any different?

The two had walked to Angel's parked Volvo, and it seemed time to part ways.

"Thanks brother. You helped me much more than anyone else today," Nashira told him, truly grateful.

"You're welcome".

Suddenly, Nashira began to snort and make a kind of invisible wall with her hands in front of Ángel, which obviously surprised him. And now what happens to this girl?

"What are you doing?" Ángel asked her, getting little amused.

Nashira continued her strange behavior for a few more seconds, this time with her eyes closed, until she opened them when she stopped.

"I try to spread my good energies to you" she replied "so that you can enjoy your apartment, and your car, and all those materialistic things. And be happy".

"I will do that. I will enjoy them".

"So this is goodbye. I hope we meet again in another life".

With a slight bow and a nod, Nashira said goodbye and turned around, moving away from Angel only five steps until he called her name, making her look at him.

"If you want, I'll give you my phone number, in case you change your mind about the job," he told her, a bit nervously.

"I am sure of what I want, and I know that I am not made to work in offices. Even so thanks".

Nashira had barely turned a quarter of a turn when Angel called her again.

"Yes, brother Ángel?" Nashira told him.

"Not all jobs in the company are office jobs. There are the cleaning people, and others in the cafeteria. And it doesn't have to be for long either: just until you gather what you need to go to the mountain, and even a little longer so you can eat what you want".

Mmm, tempting. Nashira forgot to ask Ángel why he seemed persistent and embarrassed, then she focused on thinking about the advantages of getting a job at the company where he worked. Maybe in a month, she would get money not only for the tickets but to start a craft business in the mountains.