Chapter 14

Walking her way into English class with Mrs. Atkins, Kassidy felt so light on her feet with Arianna by her side. They walked each other to classes, shared kisses in hideaways in the stairwells, and made other girls jealous that they were an item. Her new friends with Arianna were more accepting too and supportive. Kassidy knew in her gut though that once word got around to her father that it would backfire and she might get sent away to another school, granted, she has always been on her best behavior after being with Margaret and learning the ways of not getting in trouble for being with another girl.

"Kassidy, I can't believe you are with a white girl. She is way out of your league though Margaret was too." Kara said in a snide comment.

"Kara, I-" Kassidy couldn't speak to such a trade of personality with Kara.

"Kassidy, give it up. This white girl will turn on you. You are the biggest loser in this school and no one likes a preacher's daughter that gets away with everything." Kara replied with a sneer.

Kassidy bowed her head feeling the urge to hide in a bathroom stall like she did in her early pre-teens. She never got away with anything, she got the same treatment as everyone else in this strict school and her father definitely has never treated her any differently than any of the kids at church.

"What's the matter Kassidy, did the cat bite your tongue that you have no comeback?" Kara said mockingly.

"Leave her alone!" Arianna said with anger behind her voice.

"And what are you going to do about it white trash?" Kara egged on Arianna with a smirk.

Arianna put Kassidy behind her then gave Kara a look to make her back away from Kassidy. Kassidy never saw Arianna do anything to anyone but she knew to stand up for her. Watching Kara walk away in a different direction that is when her friends followed behind her in the same direction.

"Are you okay? I swear her and Margaret are the worst all of a sudden." Arianna said standing in front of Kassidy.

"Yeah, she told me that you would leave me because I'm a loser and because I get special treatment being a preacher's daughter." Kassidy replied with her head down.

"I'm not leaving your side and so what if you do. Kassidy you are a sweet girl that is appreciated by everyone. Let's get into our English class before we get marked tardy." Arianna responded by grabbing Kassidy's hand and they walked into class together.

♥♥♥♥♥♥

School finally came and went as Kassidy and Arianna made it back to their dorm to study for testing coming up. After doing several hours worth of homework, Kassidy decided it would be a good idea to shower and settle for the evening though she wished school would be over but looking at the calendar they are stuck until July and it felt so far away.

"Kassidy wait before you head off to the showers, I need to go too. We can head downstairs together." Arianna said with a smile.

"Arianna, maybe we shouldn't. I'm not ready to see you um...yeah." Kassidy replied nervously.

"Oh, yeah." Arianna turned bright red realizing what Kassidy meant.

It made them both giggle then Kassidy took this opportunity to kiss Arianna gently and went off to the showers. Kassidy wanted to see Arianna that way but felt it was way too soon. Yes, they have changed in front of one another with their backs to each other but nothing on the front because of the outcome. As soon as Kassidy reached the downstairs she heard giggles and sounded more like she was expecting in the stalls, she quietly walked to the showers, got to hers then quietly got out of her clothing then turned on the water as the sounds stopped which she was grateful for. As she went to turn around grabbing her soap, she saw Arianna looking at her with giggles.

"I'm sorry but we were going to be showering eventually together and seeing each other this way. I can't leave you alone at all." Arianna said in a whisper.

"I-." Kassidy couldn't speak after that with Arianna's lips on hers and holding her waist as they made out that made her heart leapt out of her chest. Then when they stopped kissing, Kassidy held onto Arianna and kept their foreheads on one another.

"You are the best that has ever happened to me, Kassidy and I can't see my life without you. I can't wait to see what our future holds." Arianna whispered.

"Arianna, let's take this one day at a time. Anything can happen between now and the end of school in three years." Kassidy whispered back.

"But-." Arianna now was the one speechless and felt her mood go sour once more as she backed away from Kassidy then went into her stall to shower.

Kassidy sighed watching Arianna leaving her alone in the shower when she finished cleaning herself, she dried off, and got her clean clothes on then went upstairs to their shared dorm. It felt like no matter how much she tried to slow down the process of them falling it seemed to hurt Arianna emotionally, Kassidy knew they belonged together it wasn't like they couldn't see it but she didn't want their future rushed when they could go different directions at any point. Kassidy laid her back against the wall and waited for Arianna to return from the showers but she knew that she would be enjoying the hot water. It was one of her favorite parts about the school and the unlimited time to enjoy it. Kassidy knew she shouldn't keep hurting Arianna like this and they need one another in this divided world. Kassidy grabbed her colored pencils, notebook, and began sketching them together with hearts around them with the words "I love you" in bubble letters. She felt tears fall from her face realizing that she didn't feel this way with Margaret and that this is all new emotion. Kassidy had no choice but to go find Arianna and get out of her emotions because she had to make this right for them even if she isn't ready herself. Climbing off her bed, she bolted out the door and ran downstairs to the shower stalls to find Arianna but half way there, she ran into Arianna and they both looked startled at one another.

"Kassidy, what are you doing?" Arianna shrieked.

"Coming for you." Kassidy replied sheepishly.

"Why? I know my way back to our dorm." Arianna responded with anger in her tone.

"I am sorry for pushing you away, I am scared of the future, and look at what I just drew while waiting for you." Kassidy replied, pulling out her picture and showing Arianna who looked between them both.

"This is us?" Arianna asked.

"Yeah, I am not sure why I did it. It came to my mind while sitting in the room waiting for you." Kassidy replied.

Kassidy felt Arianna grab her hand then they made their way back to the dorm room as Kassidy wasn't sure what was going to happen at that moment. It took all she could not to show Arianna that picture of them. Kassidy watched as Arianna dug through her stuff then pulled out her version of them in wedding dresses being happily in love.

"You see our future?" Kassidy asked.

"I have seen it since we met. Love at first sight does exist." Arianna said with a hopeful look.

"But-." Kassidy couldn't speak again, this time unsure of what she was supposed to say.

"No, but Kassidy. Our future began when we met that first day you drew me. The day I arrived in Maryland knowing I didn't have anyone else in my corner. You have been here for me through it all. Kassidy we are meant to be, this is our lives." Arianna replied, holding Kassidy's hands in hers. "I love you, Kassidy, I love you so much."

Kassidy gulped knowing she should say it back because she does love Arianna, she can't deny it they have been attached at the hip but the idea of her dad finding out is still scaring her. She knew that it didn't matter what he thought since he left her with the Kirkland's but it matters to her and his future for her.