Chapter 3

Josh stacked the plates and then placed them in the correct cabinet. He was currently cleaning the dishes. A chore he's had since he was old enough to reach the sink. His mother walked into the kitchen adding a cup to the sink.

"Josh, how about you go outside. I'll do the dishes for you." she offered.

"No, it's okay." Josh declined, still not making eye contact.

"Yes you will go outside, Joshua. You never do and it's not good for you." she commanded. Josh placed down the washing rag and walked over to his room. He placed some old converse on and left. At least it was decently nice out. Since Josh is rarely outside, he barely knew where anything was; but that's probably the reason behind why his mother had pushed him out. So he made sure not to wander too far. He kept track of the streets and as he looked around he saw a Shake Shack. It reminded him of his father who use to take him there all the time. Josh loved his dad, he really did. Josh held back the tears, moving on. He eventually came up to his school. Out of curiosity he walked around the building to the back. That's where all the fields are. A chain fence wrapped around the back blocking anyone off from being able to enter. There was a gate door but it was locked.

Josh spotted a boy in the middle of the football field doing tricks. Josh leaned against the fence to see what he looked like. After a few minutes of staring, Josh realised it was Simon. He watched for another five minutes before Simon spotted him. Holy crap, he is really cute. Wait, what? Josh questioned himself. He brushed it off, for girls can look at each other and say they're cute without it meaning anything. Josh didn't know what to do so he just waved. Simon set his football down and went over to open the gate.

"Hi. Josh right?" Simon greeted. Josh nodded as a response. "Do you play football?" he wondered.

"Yeah, but I don't do tricks like you do." Josh admitted.

"I can teach you some if you'd like." Simon blushed. He held his hands behind his back. Josh smiled at him, walking in. Simon was shy but still very sweet. The two didn't say much else to each other unless it was football related. After about two hours passed, the sun began to go down.

"I should go now. I don't want my mother to worry." Josh informed. They waved goodbye and went there separate ways. The next day Josh went back over to the school to see if Simon was there. He wasn't, he never showed up for the half hour Josh waited outside. He did not feel offended by it though since Simon hadn't made any promises.