"Upstairs," I told him curtly, and he followed. He stopped by the paintings in the gallery and whistled at them. I gave him an irritated look, but he ignored me. He was acting too calm for someone who attacked me a couple of days ago. Very Karrsonesque indeed. He was an unpredictable lordling who was capable of giving the deadliest surprises. It was wise not to undermine him.

For a second, I doubted my decision to invite him home. Maybe doing this somewhere else would've been better.

"Is Alkmena still sleeping?" he asked, staring at the painting of her in armour surrounded by skulls. It was of my oldest sister, the firstborn.

"Yes," I replied.

"Damn, her beauty sleeps last centuries. The last time I saw her awake was when the guillotine was the latest tech," Karrson mused.

"I'd have loved to see it used on you," I shot back. He gave me an amused look before glancing at the last painting of my youngest sister— Mayrion, the last born. "Don't even think about it," I warned before he could say something funny, and I'd have to throw him off the stairs. However, that wouldn't do much for him. I'd have to throw him off the mountain's edge to inflict damage on him.

He flashed me his sharp teeth before walking away from the gallery. I kept my eyes glued on him every second as he showed himself around my house as if he were in a museum. I stood by the fireplace, my hands crossed on my chest as I waited for him to speak.

"That one looks kinda cheap. Are you sure that's not a pixilated printout?" He asked, pointing to one of the paintings hanging above the fireplace.

"It's the original artwork and certainly not cheaper than those men you hired, I can assure you that," I poked, and he flashed me a dangerous smile. He sat at one of the grand settees in the open space, his movements elegant and regal.

"You seem to be swimming in money, Mr Traditore. I didn't know trading those missing souls was so lucrative," Hshot back, puzzling me. This time, there was no hint of humour on his face.

I straightened.

"The what?" I asked him. He cocked an eyebrow at me.

"Don't act so clueless. I know what you're up to, Lucarius, and I'm not going to let you—"

"What the fuck are you even talking about?" I demanded, stepping closer to him. He clenched his jaw and glowered at me.

"You're stealing the souls, aren't you?" He hissed, straightening up. His body looked tense enough to leap at me, "You're raising an army of stolen souls to grow powerful,"

"How do you know about the stolen souls?" I asked.

"I knew it had to be you! That's why I sent my men that night. I'm warning you, Lucarius, whatever the fuck you're up to, it's not going to pass. Once Rhendohr learns of your betrayal, he will punish the whole Night Court like the way he punished the Valisks!"

"Is that why you sent your men? To warn me?" I asked calmly, the knots on my chest slowly loosened to know he hadn't meant to attack Veronica. She was present with me at the wrong moment and place. However, his claim of me raising an army of stolen souls didn't let the reassurance linger.

"Yes," He growled, "And I'm going to do every fucking thing in my power to stop you from whatever fucked up thing you're up to! Leave the dead alone," He warned, but I shook my head at him.

"Rhendohr has asked me to look for the missing souls. How do you know about them?" I asked him instead. His eyes widened, and the menacing look on his face was replaced by puzzlement.

"What?" He asked a hint of disbelief in his eyes.

"Stay here," I commanded and entered my office to quickly get the scroll. I tossed it at him. He looked even more bewildered, but as soon as he saw the emblem of the Underworld, he opened the scroll and quickly read it.

"It's not you who've been stealing the souls?" Karrson looked even more baffled when he was done reading the scroll.

"Yes, your attempt at warning me went in vain. Instead, you attacked me when I was with my mate. I'm dying to rip your head off," I growled, and he bristled, more bewildered than ever. He looked at me as if I had told him the sky was neon green.

"Mate?" He asked, "What are you talking about? I thought your folks weren't supposed to reproduce. The five of you are enough trouble,"

"It doesn't matter. You put my mate in danger," I growled, advancing towards him, but he backed away.

"Wait a second. Just fucking stop and listen to me," He put his hands in front of me, "Hurting your mate wasn't my intention. I didn't even fucking know that you have a mate. That was all an accident,"

"An accident that could've hurt her!" I took another menacing step closer to him.

"Wait, I apologise for that! I'll never hurt your mate, not deliberately. I'm not that stupid," He added quickly. "I'm willing to compensate for the trouble I caused you!"

"You can compensate by letting me rip your head off," I offered, backing him up against a wall. He laughed.

"Can't do that, but is there another way?" He asked. I stopped and narrowed my eyes at him. I had been looking into the case of these missing souls for a while and hadn't had much luck with anything. However, Karrson seemed to know some stuff. He could be helpful, but I wouldn't put all my bets on him.

"Tell me about the stolen souls and the army you talked about," I demanded.

"I can do that," He nodded.

"And you'll help me look for them, too," I added. He barked another laugh.

"Did I hear that right? A Traitor and a Godwick working together?" He asked, amused. "I'll be laughed at,"

"That'd be better than getting your head ripped off," I threatened.

"Alright," He said. "How much do you know about the missing souls? Tell me first. I need to know that and don't let anyone know that we're working together. I'm only putting up with you because I don't like what's happening with the souls, and no one in the Night Court seems bothered about the issue. Someone has to do something about it, and it's going to be me and you,"

~

Read the next 20+ chapters on Patreon. The link is in my bio.

Thanks for reading <3