4.

-HER-

For the next two weeks, I didn't hear from the middleman. Everything was radio silent, which made my concern worse daily. I grew restless every day when I didn't hear from him, but at the same time, I was aware that if I were to hear from him, I'd completely shit myself.

Meanwhile, I was trying to prepare myself for whatever price I would be asked. Money? Sure, I could withdraw the funds from the council, but flesh? That was a different thing, and it kept me awake at night.

I even went a few days without sleeping because I couldn't shut down my brain. It was on overdrive, trying to devise different ways to get me out of this mess, but it didn't help much.

I was sure I'd have lost my sanity if Fiona asked me to meet her again. Fortunately, she didn't, but I knew it wouldn't be long before she demanded to meet me, and I better have something by then, or things would take a turn for the worse.

It was a Friday night when I first heard from the man. I got a call from an unknown number, and an unfamiliar voice asked me to get into an unfamiliar car waiting outside my apartment.

As soon as I glanced at the car standing outside, all my life force chilled inside me. I needed to do this, and I tried telling myself this repeatedly.

Wasn't I waiting for this for the past two weeks? I definitely was, but I lost all my boldness when I saw the sleek black car. But I needed to do this. This was my last and only chance at saving my neck. I had to do this. This had to be done. Period.

Before I could change my mind and think too logically about it, I took my shotgun and phone before leaving my apartment. My heart was pounding in my ears as I waited for the lift to reach the ground floor.

As soon as the lift doors opened on the ground floor, I could feel my soul trying to leave my body. I forced myself to walk out of the building and towards the road. The car was still waiting for me there.

Just when I was about to get in, I froze. I should've informed Matt about it. Fuck. I almost reached for my phone, but I stopped myself. I was acting foolish on impulse. Besides, I could feel someone's gaze watching me from the car.

I gulped and stepped towards it. The passenger door opened instantly when I stepped on the side. I took a look around me for the last time and got inside. The door clicked shut behind me immediately, and the driver started driving without wasting a second.

It took me a couple of seconds to notice the man sitting on the other side of the seat. Although I couldn't see his face due to the darkness, I could quickly tell he wasn't the one I met last time. The driver was different, too.

However, from what I could discern, the man on the other side of my seat seemed much younger and leaner. I expected him to search me for weapons or anything, but he didn't. Instead, he remained seated there, as relaxed as ever. However, I could see his glowing eyes on me in the darkness.

"Miss Grant," He greeted me. His voice was pleasantly polite but with an unmistakable edge. "What a pleasure to meet you,"

"Pleasure's mine," I spoke, keeping my voice stern and unsurprised when I was about to burst into flames from inside. My breaths were laboured as if I had been running for miles. I felt a bead of cold sweat roll down my face. I was glad he couldn't make out much in the darkness. "Where are we going?" I asked, forcing myself to take long breaths to calm myself down.

"You'll see when we arrive at the destination," he said, maintaining his distant tone. "Until then, I shall have all your communication devices and weapons you might carry." He spoke in the same polite manner.

There it is. "Please," He forced when I didn't move it, "Hand it to me. I don't like putting my hands on people unnecessarily,"

"Are you the Lord I've been arranged to meet?" I asked, getting straight to the point. I needed to know who I was dealing with.

"No. I'm Gunner. I work for him. Now, give me your stuff," He pressed. I could hear the growing annoyance in his voice. I didn't feel like pissing him off, so I reached for my shotgun first, but I stopped.

I knew what I would do next was stupid, but I still needed to know. Regardless of the answer, I was prepared.

"Is my life in danger?" I asked.

"Not tonight," He assured in a twisted way.

"What does that mean?" I pushed, wanting to see how far it could go.

"As long as you're with me, you're not in danger. I cannot promise anything beyond that," he clarified, sounding somewhat vexed. In the darkness, I could make out the scowl on his face.

"Am I supposed to trust you?" I asked with a chuckle, mainly to ease my tension.

"I've been ordered to escort you to my Lord safely. I follow his orders no matter what. As long as you're with me, you don't need to worry about your safety,"

"As long as your Lord doesn't order you to kill me," I conditioned.

"Your phone and gun," He demanded, his voice impolitely sharp, and something dark shifted in his eyes. I knew I had reached his limit, so I silently did what he told me to do. He switched my phone off and took the bullets out of my shotgun before depositing them in a box and pushing it under his seat.

"Is your Lord going to be at our destination?" I asked, hating the tense silence in the car. I needed him to talk.

"Most likely," He wasn't helping with his curt answers.

"Did he agree to my request?" I questioned.

"You'll know once you meet him," another direct answer. I wanted to ask more, but his dismissiveness discouraged me. I glanced outside the window once to check where we were headed.

I noticed we were in the busiest part of the city, passing familiar tall buildings. I knew the route we were on, but I didn't know where we were headed, and I was impatient to find it out.

"Where are we going again?" I asked casually, hoping it wouldn't irritate his nerves. Just in time, the car stopped abruptly.

"We're already there," He announced before getting out and rounding the car to open my side of the door. I looked around to find ourselves in front of one of the biggest casinos in the city.

The sight of the place lit me up with hope. I had been inside that place numerous times (not for entertainment, though). I was familiar with the place in case things went downhill.

"This way," Gunner spoke, putting his hand on the small of my back and leading me inside to my destiny.

~

What do you think so far?

Vote. Comment. Share. Follow me.

Read the next 20+ chapters on Patreon. The link is in my bio.

Thanks for reading <3