Andrea's Story

It was raining. I stood in the mist, apathetic. I looked around and I heard footsteps approaching me. There she was. Cecilia.

She glanced at me as she was running relentlessly to the woods. I looked back and stretch out my arms to reach her. I then noticed that she looked like a mess.

The helm of her white, lacy dress was soaked in mud and her hair was in disarray. She was holding an infant in her arms; it was wrapped in blood-stained old ragged cloth. I felt a twinge in my heart at the sight of her.

I clutched my chest and attempted to run after her. But my feet were heavy like I was planted in the ground. My eyes only followed her as she disappeared in the wilderness. Then, I felt a tear escaped from my eye.

“Honey, the car is here” I heard Mrs. Connor's voice in my head. I thought I was still dreaming but then I remembered that I still have a rendezvous with Andrea.

I stretched out a little and accidentally knocked the picture frame off the bed. It fell with a soft thud on the carpeted floor. My eyes widened in alarm.  I panicked.

“Shoot!”

I scornfully got up from bed and searched for the object. I looked under the bed and smiled as soon as I saw the target.

“Gotcha!”

I flipped it so that I could take a look at the persons in the photo but to my horror, Cecilia was no longer there. My eyes widened even more. I gasped at the horror in front of me. How could that be?

The door creaked open. I got frightened out of my wits. I shrieked.

“Aah!”

My brown eyes met big blue ones. Thank heavens, it was only Mrs. Collins!

“What’s taking you so long, child? C’mon now, hurry. You better don’t get the Dennings waiting now, do you?” she sounded reproaching.

I grunted inside and placed the picture frame back on the bedside table. I pulled up my bag and took one last look at the photo before dashing downstairs. I was certain, Cecilia is missing! The man whose face got ink blotched was not standing alone in the picnic scene.

I must figure this one out. Later.

Andrea waved at me as soon as I got out from the carriage. She was looking all “little miss sunshine” with her plum colored dress with a matching fedora. I felt a little ashamed for wearing much less fabric. Nonetheless, I waved back.

“Hey! Sorry I didn’t know what to wear.” I said, apologetically.

The lady grabbed both of my hands and squeezed them.

“Oh! Don’t be! C’mon in! I’ve been looking forward to spend the afternoon with you!”

Andrea’s beam was delightful. I smiled back to her.

“Me too! I am a boring company. I hope you don’t mind.” I said.

She squinted her eyes and looked at me skeptically.

“Oh, may the Gods spare us! I’m a much more boring company than you are.”

Then we broke into laughter.

She could be cranky at times. I liked that kind of people.

The Dennings is one of the richest clans in the county. It was fortunate that I met Andrea and I crashed into their place accidentally that fateful evening.

We spent the afternoon in their courtyard, sharing mint teas and telling tales.

“So, you took up literature despite your parents’ refusal?!”

“Yes, they wanted for me to run the family business, like my brothers do, but I my interest on the matter is nil. My grandparents weren’t as forceful as my parents. Unlike them, grand mother always tells me to follow my heart whenever I have doubts in the past.”

“Lucky bitch.” I whistled. Well, that was an automatic response.

She gaped at me and I cringed. “I didn’t mean it that way, I…” I explained.

Andrea just laughed it off. “Wow, it’s been long since I had a company like you. I like you bitch!”

We bumped knuckles and chuckled heartily.

“So, how about love? Are you married? Divorced? Separated?” she asked.

I coughed out. Well, that escalated quickly. “No no no, I’m single. Since. Birth.”

She raised a brow. “Really? Why? You’re pretty, funny, smart. I would marry you if I were a man. But don’t get me wrong, I’m straight.”

I giggled. “You’re even more lady like than I am. Well, I’ve already disclosed my love history during our first meeting. Maybe it’s time to tell me yours.”

Andrea batted her eye lashes to my remarks. I bet she was taken aback. She cleared her throat and grabbed me by the arm.

“C’mon, I’ll show you something.”

She literally dragged me into the house. “H-hey! Okay. Slow down.”

I followed her up to the third floor and we went into one of the massive Maple door that stood alone in the left wing. It was a library with a massive collection of books.

I gawked at the wonder before me. “Cool, you’re really rich, you know.”

Andrea just giggled and she walked to one of the shelves where pulled out a wooden box. She waved for me to come nearer. I sat beside her and waited patiently for her to open the box.

She sighed as she lifted up the lid and pulled out a brown leathered cased notebook.

“This is my precious.” She tugged it close to her chest. “My life book.”

I mouthed an “Oh.” This girl was quite traditional.

She turned a few pages then she stopped. She took out an old photo. It was her and Alex! Alex?!

“I-Is that Alex?!” I exclaimed.

She chuckled and playfully slapped my hand.

 “No, silly. That’s his twin brother, Andrew. He’s my husband.”

“Well, that was a relief. I thought I did a carnal mistake if that was Alex.”

Andrea pulled out a golden ring from the box and slid it in her ring finger. She held out her hand for me to see.

“We are secretly married.”

I gasped.

The rest of the day ended splendidly. I learned that the Andrea was previously betrothed to Ed. It was an arranged proposal. After the arson five years ago, it put to an end. There were no any emotions involved. It was purely business and tradition.

Andrew was best friends with Andrea since childhood. He was always her knight in shining armor. They dated during college where they attended the same university but this fact was concealed to anybody in the county.

Two years ago, Andrew finished his Masters in Engineering, landed a good job away from his family’s influence, and finally asked her hand for marriage. She immediately agreed and they flew to Hawaii where they had the intimate ceremony and spent their honeymoon.

Andrea’s father was battling a cancer and he was already in a critical stage. I asked her if she would tell her secret soon to her family. But she did not make up her mind yet about the matter. She’d rather see the final days of her father in bliss and harmony than suffer from anguish about the dishonor that she brought into the family.

“I had a pleasant time. Let’s hang out soon.”

“Me too. I’m looking forward to that. I’ll see you in the weekends after you come back from your trip.”

“Sure. I will call you. Have a nice trip, Trina.”