Warmest Welcome

The dawn was already breaking when we finally arrive in our destination. We were in the middle of the conversation when the bus halted blocks before the station. The conductor walked to us and handed a brown canister to Ed.

“Welcome home to McKane, sire. I hope you had a good ride.” The conductor curtsied. I was dumbstruck for a moment. What’s up with the curtsy and all?

“Thanks mister. The ride became delighted ‘cause of Miss Trina’s company. Off you go, pal.”

The conductor bowed once again and walked away.

I crooked an eyebrow and looked at him quizzically. “What was that?”

Ed just grinned at me as he was composing himself. I could feel him going far away from me. And I have a strong feeling that that was the least thing that I ever wanted for now. My heart was beating more madly than ever. I held onto myself as I found it even harder to breathe.

“Are you okay?” he asked with a hint of concern in his voice. I was melting.

“Y-yeah. I’m fine.” I smiled at him then turned my gaze through the window.

“Well, I’m going now. Have a safe and fruitful journey in McKane young lady.” He said longingly.

“Okay, thanks. You too. Have a great thanksgiving.” I replied without even looking back. I couldn't simply look back. With all my might, I was fighting the newly formed tears from flowing. 

"Okay then. See you when I see you."

I could feel his eyes poring all over me for a moment before he got up and walked away. I didn’t turn my head to his direction until the bus door finally hissed to a close. Brat. He didn’t even kiss me.

My seven hour love affair ended in a glimpse! The bus then took almost forever to arrive in the station. 

I didn't even know his name.

The road to Mullet Hill was rather a grumpy one despite the smooth, brief travel. I was surprised that the mode of transportation in this place included a horse and a carriage. So prehistoric!

“Thank you, Madam. Have a great stay in the little hill house!”

“Thanks!”

The three-storey stone house stood majestically at the top of the hill. I felt like a modern woman stuck in 1800s. The lawn was mowned expertly and the daisies of all possible colors dancing in medley with the wind complemented perfectly the white picket fence. It was like living an American dream. 

“Oh, sweet simple life.” I muttered. I wonder if I can see Ed again. Sigh.

I carried my luggage and walked through the porch. I craned my neck to the direction of the crowing rooster. Ancient alarm clock. My brows met in confusion. Jeez. I hope I didn’t sign up for Flinstone’s getaway.

Before I could even initiate a knock, the living room light turned on and the door opened swiftly. A fat woman clad in a white robe beamed at me. “Hi! You must be Miss Trina. Welcome home. Come on in, sweetpea.”

She pulled me in before I could reply. I couldn’t smile at her warm hospitality. I took it that destiny just gave me a slight push towards a new beginning.

I sighed for countless times already as I was starting to dig in my new job. I thought I signed up for an assistant work in a hospital but I ended up changing diapers for newborns. I was wearing a nurse’s gown because I was forced to do so.

The baby, whom I just changed, started to cry.  I panicked a little and searched for the feeding bottle.

“You can’t find one in here. You better go bring Ms. McKane to her mother” a senior aged nurse came in to my rescue.

I slightly cowered at the thought and stared at her. “But I’m not a nurse.”

“You are a nurse for today. Dr. Henderson is out of town. You’ll be working in his clinic starting tomorrow. So be a good girl and bring that wonderful baby to her mother.”

Okay, so I got reprimanded on the first day of my job and that stung a little. I gently put Ms. McKane into her crib but she cried even louder. I was hushing her like crazy but attempt was futile.

I heard the old had chuckled at my ridiculousness.

“Honey, the baby simply tells you that you should carry her. Is that hard enough to decipher?”

“Oh sorry, I didn’t know. I never nursed a baby in my whole life. That’s why.”

“Well, you better get started now.” 

I sighed heavily and held the baby in my arms. The moment she was comfortably positioned, she hushed. It amazed me. 

"Wow."

I could hear the old hag snickering at the background. "Good job. At the presidential suite, off you go." I nodded at her and walked away.

"Sweet little thing, I'll bring you to your mommy now." I motheresed.

And she smiled! "The Angel smile." It stunned me. An unknowningly warm sensation enveloped my whole being and my heart leapt for joy. I couldn't help but beamed back at her.

"I take that as a thank you, little angel."