A What?

Kine

Waking up to a belly rub was pretty darn nice. When it turned into scratches, I couldn't help but kick my foot and give a quiet whine.

"Good morning to you, too. Sleep well?"

I blinked my eyes open halfway to see Nagol leaning over me a little. He had a content smile on his face, but I could also see some shadows under his eyes.

Are you tired? I can go check on the boys, I offered.

"Nah. It's okay. I actually spent some time with Cody after you fell asleep instead of dozing on the sofa. I didn't really pay much attention to the clock."

You guys must have talked for awhile, though I don't remember how long I slept at your feet.

"Actually, no. We barely spoke at all, but man. That kid is really... interesting."

I tilted my head, silently questioning his words.

I see. I knew he was more than he appeared.

"I think as long as he has a book with him, he'll be more comfortable interacting."

Yeah. I figured he needed a book because he kept looking at his hands and making gestures with his thumb that avid readers do when flipping pages.

"Makes sense. Well, today's another day."

I fidgeted and rolled over, suddenly not feeling that great.

"Don't worry. I'll be here, babe. No matter when Tanner or Tawny come."

His reassurance made me feel a little better, but now I was worried for a different reason. I didn't think either of them would go after the kids for any reason, but I was worried about them watching their new doggy friend die.

"Don't worry. The kids won't see whatever happens."

I nodded, then got up and stretched, flicking my tail over my back like a husky before hopping off the bed and shaking out my coat.

"I don't hear them moving at all downstairs, but just in case, I'm going to start talking to your thoughts." Nagol said.

Roger. I replied.

Once we were downstairs in the bathroom, I quickly shifted and relieved myself, then shifted back to my wolf form and hopped into the shower. Nagol walked in right after and got the shower going for me, but then straightened back up.

"I'm going to go get breakfast started since we already showered last night. I'll just wash my hair later tonight so you enjoy the scratcher for however long you'd like."

Don't mind if I do, I thought to myself as I began to do just that. After being in my wolf form for so long, my fur was beginning to mat so it felt really good to brush most of it out. It was a few minutes later that I heard the door creak open a bit more and then slip closed. I thought it was going to be Nagol, but when I looked, I saw Miguel instead.

"Hey, boy. Did Nagol leave you in here all alone?"

I stepped back a little when he slid the large shower door to the side to look.

"Ah, he's giving you some time with your scratcher."

He smiled and turned, doing his business since he obviously came in because he had to go. I ignored it since it was perfectly normal. Well, maybe not to do it in front of someone else, but I was a dog right then, so woof. When he was done, I was a bit surprised to see him tug off his clothing and step into the shower in front of me. It was plenty big enough, though, so I just continued to try to work out the mats against the scratcher as Miguel started washing himself.