Enough

Kine

As dusk came around and the thunderstorm quieted, I knew something was wrong. Nagol hadn't returned, and while I could sense him somewhere nearby, it was just not close enough for me to contact him mentally. It wasn't until most of the kids had settled into bed and the thunderstorm was raging in the dark sky outside that he finally moved close enough for me to try to get through to his mind. At first, I felt him trying to keep me out, but eventually I managed to nudge my way inside.

What are you doing, Nagol?

Silence met my question and remained for nearly five minutes before he finally responded. We can't do this, Kine.

My heart jerked in my chest and I bit back a whine, not wanting to wake the boys who were asleep in the two beds to my left.

I thought we had decided to try... I can change. I have changed, I thought to him in return, letting my hurt seep into the words as I sent them. He didn't respond for another five minutes, and that's when I knew that Tawny had something to do with this conversation.

Please, Nagol. Talk to me face to face. Whatever he said, I want to hear it from your mouth. Please.

Another lengthy silence. Then my entire body relaxed from its tense state when he replied with a simple, Okay.

It was about fifteen minutes later when the older woman from the orphanage came upstairs and took my leash, leaving the two boys to sleep as she led me downstairs to Nagol. The moment I saw him, I ran, my leash slipping from the woman's grasp. Knowing that I wouldn't stop, Nagol, soaked from the storm, dropped to his knees and opened his arms to catch me. Even if I had forced him to hug me or get run-into, I could still feel the flare of his emotions through the bond we still had.

"Hey, buddy. Sorry I'm so late picking you up. Hope those kids didn't scare you too much."

He rubbed a hand along my side as his attention turned up to the woman. "Did he do okay?"

"Oh yes. The kids were very happy to have him, and he was resting in Miguel and Cody's room when you came in," the woman said, calm excitement in her tone. "And you know what? Cody was actually reading to him!"

Her hands clasped together with happiness, though she was sure to keep her voice down.

"Really? Cody was actually reading to him?" Nagol replied, his voice sounding utterly shocked. Was it so weird? I thought to myself.

"Yes! If you can, please bring him back whenever possible. I think he's just what Cody needs to finally begin coming out of his shell. I'm sure Miguel would also love to keep seeing him and taking care of him, too."

I felt Nagol hesitate, then chuckle quietly as he patted my fur. "I'll see if I can, ma'am. For now, we're going to head home. It's been a long day."

The woman nodded and Nagol stood, taking my leash before wishing her a good night and turning to leave.

The walk back to Nagol's home was tense, both of us obviously trying to figure out what we were going to say to each other. But also, being so close, I couldn't help but catch his scent every few moments through the damp air the storm had left behind. It made me want to be petted by him. To just roll over on the sidewalk and have him rub my belly. Those thoughts continued to push at my mind, washing away my nerves and putting something else there, making my body tingle in anticipation. I wanted attention from Nagol. Badly. The second we got inside, I shifted and was hugging his arm while nuzzling against his shoulder. I felt like a damned cat in heat but just couldn't help myself. I thought Nagol might push me away, not feeling like being any kind of nice after nearly calling our situation off, but he actually turned toward me with a stressed smile.