Chapter 29

"It is you! You're alive!" he said. The words fell from his lips like a joyously whispered prayer as he closed the distance between them, grasping Nan's arms. His hands moved down to hers, then her shoulders, and then her face as he looked her over. His expression grew more and more animated.

"By God. You're alive!" He beamed, smiling so wide Nan thought his face might split in two from the strain, then his lips came down on hers, and all thought of his smile was replaced with panic and the need to get away from him. When his tongue slipped into her mouth, she began shoving at his shoulders, only to have his hands remove themselves from her face and wrap around her in a suffocating hug. It wasn't until she bit his intruding tongue that he released her.

Withdrawing instantly, he took a small stumbling step back, covering his mouth in pain and shock that was quickly transformed into a blind rage. With a single sharp slap, he sent Nan to the floor.

"You bit me!" He snapped, running his hand over his mouth. "You bitch!" He snarled, kicking her in the stomach as he reclaimed the small distance her bite had taken from him.

The world was a blurry daze as Nan tried to regain enough focus to move, to get away from him, fearful of his next assault even as he dropped to his knees beside her and started begging her forgiveness.

"Oh God! Anna! Anna, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean it. I didn't mean to hit you!" He exclaimed, the remorse that filled his voice falling on deaf ears as Nan continued to try and pull herself away from him. It was only when he grasped her arm that her gaze went back to him, "Anna, please—"

His plea was cut off as a large shadow ripped him from her, tossing him several feet down the hall away from Nan.

But even with so much distance, she could not remove her eyes from him. Even when her savior helped her to her feet and asked her questions with words she knew but could not hear, she could not look away. Fear filled her, and memories of another life came screaming out of their graves. All Nan could think was to get away, to run as far as she could.

Taking small, unsteady steps, Nan turned from the man who had helped her and was now shouting at the one that had hurt her, with one arm braced against her aching stomach, the other slid along the wall, holding her up. She walked until she heard William calling her and wished she could run when she saw him jog to her side from the corner of her eye.

Ducking her head, she closed her eyes tightly and prayed for him to be called away. "Please, no. Please," she whispered over and over until she felt his hand cup her chin and turn her face to his. Even then, she didn't open her eyes, and even though she felt the tears slide down her cheeks, she didn't look at him.

---------------

William stared down at Nan, confused and angry, filling him. He'd called her name several times upon seeing her, yet when he'd called, he'd not seen the damage done to her; it had only been her odd gate that had ignited his concern. Now that he stood next to her, he could see the mess of her hair, the bright red of her left cheek, the slight bump forming near her hairline, and the tears that ran down her face, but it was the absence of her eyes that broke the hold on his rage.

Handing her to De'Mont, William all but ran in the direction she'd come, not stopping until he found his cousin with a man he had pinned to the wall.

"Is he the one?" William asked, his eyes locked to the fellow. He was not an unattractive man, though his looks were common enough. His hair was dark cropped short, his clothes subdued browns and crisp whites.

"There's naught here for you to concern yourself with, Cousin. I'll throw this blackguard from the house and into the nearest jail myself. And should he make a fuss, I'll be sure to show him a rougher degree of affection than he showed your lady," His cousin growled.