Chapter 25

The parlor Clara had led Nan into was small but simple, decorated in whites and creams. The walls, however, were painted in a variety of pinks, violets, golds, and browns to look like a field of wildflowers. On the far wall, a bay window took up nearly the entire wall and displayed a magnificent vista of the grounds beyond it.

"So tell me, Miss Harris," Clara waved to the seat across from the chaise lounge she had placed herself on. "How long have you known my brother?" she asked as she stretched across the chase, appearing unconcerned with Nan's reaction to her languid posture.

"Personally, only a few months. Though I've known of him for several years," Nan replied as she took the seat Clara had directed her to.

"And how did you come to meet him?" Clara inquired.

"I found him sleeping on the beach below Stone Brook," Nan informed her.

"You're from Ashfern, then?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"And your family has work there?"

"Yes. I provide medicine to those who cannot afford it."

"Medicine? Is this a skill you learned from your father?"

"No, ma'am. My mother."

"Your mother? Really?" Clara repeated, looking put off by Nan's answer. She frowned and looked away from her for a moment. "How...very revolutionary of her. What kind of medicine do you provide these unfortunate people?"

"Teas, creams, ointments, and other such things," Nan answered, shaking her head at the banality of the question.

"And this provides for you?" Clara arched her brow as she asked.

"It does well enough." Nan nodded. "Might I ask you a question, Mrs. De'Mont?"

"Certainly," Clara nodded in turn.

"I don't mean to be rude, but why not just ask what you truly wish to know?"

"I beg your pardon?" Clara gawked.

"I'm an attached woman who's arrived with your considerably less-than-handsome, though wealthy and very married, brother. Surely, you've drawn some conclusions by now. All that remains is for you to verify their truth," Nan explained, staring at the woman before her without the slightest hint of emotion.

"Forgive me, Miss Harris, but did my questions become offensive at some point during our conversation? I merely wish to know who you are," Clara remarked, the affront she took to Nan's comment evident in the look on her face and the angle of her head.

"No, ma'am. You've been very polite, except that you've invited me to tea, and there is no tea, nor have you called for any. Also, you're William's sister. And by the way he treats you, I would say, elder sister. Furthermore, your brother is not a stupid man. I'll not insult you or our sex by thinking you are. So, might I ask that we rid ourselves of this farce and get straight to it?"

"My, you're very astute...and blunt. Like a club to the head," Clara admitted, her overall expression a mask of consideration as she stared at the woman sitting across from her.

"I can think of worse things to be called," Nan smirked agreeably.

"I think you've been called worse things," Clara replied. "But you're right. I have drawn some conclusions, none of which are especially flattering toward you. But you did say you know my brother is married?"

"Yes, I did." Nan nodded.

"And you know he'll never divorce her," Clara added.

"His marriage is his affair. I've no intention to interfere with it." Nan shook her head.