ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝔽𝕠𝕦𝕣

𝕐/ℕ

That was...too close.

Hundreds of years worth of daring escapades I'd endured...yet that...was probably the most stupid.

This whole plan was stupid. Never in all my existence had I heard of one of my kind befriending the enemy. It was of course, part of the job description...making strange bedfellows. We needed to interact and get close with their kind in order to survive...but a long term deal...with hunters, no less...

I couldn't tell if I'd reached a new lowly level of desperation...or if I was the smartest, ballsiest of my kind to date. 

I was right there...in their clutches. They had their firearms aimed right between my eyes, their fingers just itching to pull those triggers. Yet...I talked them out of it. I convinced them to form a partnership with me...all without using a drop of my venom. And with the way the conversation was flowing...it's apparent I already had my hooks in them, and I barely had to lift a finger.

So, boasts the question...was it just dumb luck? Or was I just that skilled at my ruse? Or did they just so happen to be that gullible?

Any of those were a possibility. But I prayed to Mother it wasn't just luck...because luck has been known to run dry these days, especially for things like me. 

I should run. I should pack up shop, leave town as fast as I possibly could and run far enough away until I become nothing but a distant memory to them. Say 'to hell' with the plan, and try to reforge at least a modicum of self-preservation skills. 

But I was in too deep now. If I played my cards right, they'd be thinking of me all night, well into today, and the next day too. They'd be envisioning how hunting with me would go...they'd be fantasizing about it. I didn't use any venom whatsoever to alter their brain chemistry...I didn't plan to. If they caught a whiff of something being 'off' with them, it could blow the entire plan. But appearing as their perfect match...handcrafted just for them...that's not something they're liable to forget.

No, they weren't going to forget me at all. We touched on some heavy topics last night...topics the two of them hadn't been able to talk about in years, so it seemed. And...I'd be lying if I said I didn't find...enjoyment...in communicating with them both. They were the rare kind of humans...with souls, personalities and stories that run way deeper than the surface of their skin. Something hard to find...something genuine. Not just the primal urges and shallow fantasies that reside in the hearts of most men, as I'd come to find...but something much more

It was...comforting

But that's neither here nor there...and definitely not something I plan to dwell on. There was too much at stake to get sidetracked by the complexities of two humans. It's so beneath me to find a fascination with that, it's not even funny. 

My survival is at stake. And though I walk through the valley of death, blades, pistols, holy water and devil's traps...I will not fear them. I can't afford to. And...I can't afford to like them either. 

So, I set my course. I made my plan. It's already underway, after coming face to face with them, and I need to be doing everything in my power to ensure there isn't a toe out of line from here on out.