Black Dahlia.

"This is so weird."

"Why is it weird?"

"The only person who's ever come with me to my appointments was my mom," Ashton said with a chuckle. "She stopped coming when they told me my body stopped responding to treatments."

Luke furrowed his brows slightly, eyes watching Ashton's face closely. "Why did that make her stop coming?"

Ashton shrugged. "In her mind that meant there was nothing they could do," he answered, emotionless. "She didn't want to come with me just to hear them tell her how my impending doom was getting closer and closer."

Luke nodded, mostly to himself. He could understand her reasoning, but it's her son. That should make her want to be there. "Why do you still make appointments, then? Aren't you afraid of the same thing?"

Ashton let out a soft breath, turning to smile at Luke warmly. "I have hope," he said sincerely. "I guess I'm a heavy optimist. I'm always telling myself I'm going to hear something different the next time."

Luke smiled back, reaching down and interlocking his fingers with his curly headed lover's. "Then I'll hope right along with you," he said. "It couldn't hurt."

Ashton let out a soft laugh, leaning over and pressing a kiss to Luke's temple. "You're my angel," he whispered. "Thank you for coming with me. I know this is scary stuff, and you don't have to be here, but—"

Luke leaned over, copying his boyfriend and kissing his temple as well. "You don't have to thank me," he said softly. "I would be here for you even if you didn't want me to be. We're in this together, you and me."

Ashton nodded, smiling sadly at Luke as he looked back toward the office door, tapping his fingers on his knee rhythmically.

Luke laughed gently at the action, tapping the back of Ashton's hand with his thumb to get his attention. "I think you might've been a drummer in a past life. You're pretty rhythmic."

That caused the curly haired man to let out a slightly loud laugh, shaking his head as he looked at Luke. "You'd be surprised," he said. "I actually tried to learn the drums as a teenager, but I'm absolute shit at them."

Luke laughed right along with him just as the oncology nurse came into the waiting area. "Ashton?"

Ashton took a deep breath, rubbing his hands against his jeans before standing. Luke followed close behind, very gently stroking the small of Ashton's back to offer him a slight bit of comfort.

There were little words transferred between Ashton and the nurse, mostly just little directions and general questions about how he's been and such. Luke felt entirely out of place, but he needed to be here for his person.

They were then led to an exam room, where they were told that Ashton's doctor would be in in a few moments, and to make themselves comfortable. The two men thanked her gently just as she was exiting the room. "You were right," Luke said with a smile. "This is weird."

Ashton couldn't help but laugh as the two men then began sharing light conversation, his tension and worry melting away with each crinkle of Luke's eyes. Before too much longer, Ashton's doctor entered the room and greeted the two of them with a smile. "Good afternoon, boys," he said, his calm tone easing even Luke's worry. "How are we feeling today, Ashton?"

Ashton shrugged gently. "I'm okay," he said. "Not weak or anything today, and I was able to eat a full breakfast without getting sick."

The doctor nodded, jotting down the notes into the computer. "That's good," he said, a cheerful tone ringing out. "The first couple of weeks with a new medicine are usually the worst, so you're probably clear of any side effects from the medication itself."