The Big Move | 01

CONTEXT: Slow Burn, Reader doesn't know she's lesbian yet.

-

Your heart broke when your mom told you the news, the news you wanted to deny because you hated where you were in your life.

You wanted to be a normal teenager, go to school, have tests, have friends, have a boyfriend.

She told you that she didn't take the job she was offered, you had a whole argument with it, she said that you were overreacting and living in Africa was amazing and a good experience for you.

You said that you have no social skills and she is being selfish by keeping you here.

You want to go to high school, make friends, make enemies. You were getting older now and being taught by your mom isn't the same anymore.

The fight got really heated and there was a lot of yelling, it ended in you leaving the tent to take a breath of air.

You were observing the animals that were everywhere, you take out your camera and snap a few pictures, smiling at the way they turned out.

A twig snaps from behind you and the animals run away and the noise, you look and see that it's your mom, sneaking behind you, she was trying her best to be quiet. "Mom!" You exclaim, standing up, "You scared them away." You say, your mom frowns, giving you an apologetic look.

"I'm sorry sweetie, I was trying to be quiet." She says, you frown at her response and look at all the photos you took with your camera, smiling at them. "Baby." Your mom starts, you look up from your camera and into her eyes, nodding your head, waiting for her to continue talking.

Your mom gulps, sighing she says, "I've been thinking about what you said." You look at her with a confused expression and she sighs again "and being frustrated about my decision, and feeling a little stuck here. It's just me and you," She adds, you nod your head, listening to her carefully.

"I'm sorry I yelled." You apologised, cutting her off. "But you have a point," She admitted, you look at her, waiting for her to get to the point, "Maybe I have been a little selfish, putting my research ahead of your social and emotional development." She admits, you smile, loving hearing those words from her.

"I called the people from Northwestern back. I took the job." Your eyes went wide when she said that, you weren't expecting for her to say that. "What?" You say in disbelief, still slightly in denial about the whole situation.

"But they need me to start September 9th." That was in a few days, and logically you would need at least two days to move in, meaning you would have to leave for your flight on September 6th and it was the 4th, meaning you only had 2 days to pack and live your last days in Africa.

You can't say you were sad to leave Africa, mainly because you were so excited to start High school, you weren't really thinking about what you would be leaving behind.

The only thing in your mind right now is Imagining what High school would be like, you're only show of high school is what its like in all the movies and you know that it can't be that perfect.

You spent the last 2 days you had in Africa, really trying to enjoy it, (with a lot of packing.) and you do admit, driving away from the place you have stayed for the past 16 years was quite sad, and you knew you would miss it.

You were more excited to start this new journey in your life though, and driving to the airport at night just hit different, especially knowing that you won't be coming back.