Nati - Chapter Sixty Nine

Start from the beginning

It was Hana, the largest of the orcs, and they were severely wounded.

"What the hell happened?" Charlotte rushed to the scene, unfazed by the gigantic monster. "Hana, are they still alive?"

"Barely, Omerta had me bring them back and ask for help." The goblin claimed. He reminded me of Dioneras, but It was the first time I saw him. "They fought the Elder and lost. Now with the help of the wyverns, we managed to disable their shamans, but most of the company got wiped out. We need to buy some time until we can evacuate."

"I'll go." Gitaut surprised me, announcing it confidently. He helped take down the wounded orc, climbing on the back of the wyvern himself. He only hesitated for a moment. "Can you treat him?"

"I'll do my best." Lambert nodded, looking as if he tried to gather the very last of his strength, and rolled back his sleeves. Kneeling next to the orc, he shook his head. "He's not looking great, but it's still not too late."

"Sir Avalon." The dwarf yelled before they could take off. "I'm not a fighter, but you experienced what my Nightmares can do. What do you say, should I ride them into battle, to give you an opening?"

"Sir Gomel, that's exactly what we need, but I can't guarantee your safety. Are you sure?" The goblin asked, the wyvern already flapping its wings. "I won't refuse any help and will offer a reward for every volunteer. We are on our last legs."

"Let's take one of the carts with the crossbowmen." The leader of the hunters joined in as well. "These humans won't dare to come back anytime soon. Omerta is still out there. If Hana wakes up and realizes that we didn't help her, they will surely strangle us to death."

"What do you say, Gitaut?" Charlotte intervened. A small force was already gathering in the courtyard, yet that would leave us vulnerable. "If the humans retreated, I don't mind, but we can't leave the village open."

"I don't sense them anymore." The shaman shook his head. "It seems like they got orders to pull back. They might have been a diversion if they fought the Elder at the crossroads. It's hard to understand how she controlled the lizardmen's swarms though."

"Fine, take some of the men with you, Sir Gomel, and help them evacuate, but make sure you all return in one piece." The chieftain gave the order. The wyvern took to the sky too, and they rushed to put those amazing horses in front of a carriage. "I'll stay here to keep an eye on things. Maybe that one is the diversion after all."

In a few minutes, the men eager to battle all left. We were left alone in the courtyard again with Lambert and the wounded Hana. They weren't looking good, their skin was almost white from all the blood loss, and the court wizard was also beyond tired at this point.

"Can you apply pressure here and here? There is no time to grab more bandages." He asked me, and I hurried to help. It seemed like every little could affect the outcome. The gentle giant was very close to death. "The hell could have caused these wounds. Thought this guy's indestructible."

"Can't you save them?" I asked, getting worried. If only I could transfer him some of my mana. I knew I had a lot but couldn't use it yet, maybe if he did that telepathy thing that worked for Omerta... But no, the spell itself would have been cast by me. And a complex surgery was way above my pay grade. My mind wandered to the crystal.

"I don't know yet, he might be too far gone." Lambert was sweating, doing his best. But I couldn't help but correct him.

"It's them. Or her. Hana was always upset if we referred to them as a man." I noted. I felt devastated if I considered this could be their end. I only knew the gladiator for a month, but we spent a lot of time together. Back in my world, I died so young, I never lost a loved one. I didn't have many friends, and Hana felt like one, the first I made here, and we were the same in a sense. That's what they said at the very least, my tears started to roll down my face.

"Right, them. If only I had one more healing potion." The wizard said, looking up to me. "Can you go and grab one from my room?"

"Sure. I'll be back in a minute." I jumped up, with my voice shaking. I ran as fast as I could. Fortunately, the embassy was right next to us, the door open, and I rushed up the stairs, heading to the left where the magicians had their rooms side by side. I've never been in Lambert's room, but as soon as I opened the door, I spotted a dozen potions lined up on his desk. I grabbed as many as possible without dropping them and was on my way back. Barely saw from the corner of my eyes when something flew by his window. My vision was blurry from the tears.

By the time I reached the entrance, it was all too late. I didn't even hear the voices, there were no battles. It was completely one-sided.

The golems were torn to shreds. The homunculus was missing both of its legs. I was only gone for a minute, but the devastation was huge. In the middle of the courtyard, a stone statue stomped on the helpless chieftain. The few remaining guards fired their crossbows at its spread-out stone wings in vain. It was the same gargoyle the Elder used to escape after I first used magic. I wounded her that time.

It was all thanks to Omerta's help, but she was nowhere to be seen. Her brother was at the mercy of the blonde woman, she held Lambert by his hair, laughing hysterically. Nobody could go anywhere near her. She had one of her legs placed squarely on top of the dying orc, her face distorted by a devilish smile.

"You played right into my hands. I get to enjoy revenge on this cursed brute, and even my favorite toy is here too." She shouted while the others tried to run into cover. "Nobody can stop me from killing him now. Not even you, Goddess. Ahahah. Those terrified eyes. I thought I should fear you, but you aren't a threat, are you?"

Goddess? I only wished she was here. I wondered, where she could disappear for so long. But I was on my own. Completely alone.

"L-let them go!" I yelled, but the truth was. My feet were already rooted into the ground. I was shaking, my mind screamed to run.

I dropped one of the healing potions, and as I tried to catch it, I only managed to slap my thigh. I could feel the crystal inside my pocket. Omerta wasn't here, but I wasn't exactly defenseless.