Dio - Chapter Fifty

The hellhounds were coming.

When and how did they get here? I had no idea, but the Nightmare herd was still around too. The hallucinations at least stopped. Did Fang succeed? I couldn't ask him right now, the monsters were on us.

"Sir Goblin, watch out!" Gomel yelled, hiding behind his shield. The enemy wasted no time to rush our formation, it was still intact at the very least. The first overgrown dog had no chance of getting past Bastion.

In the meantime, the wolfkin unsheathed both his short swords. One of his blades dipped into the hound's flesh and it stuck between the vertebrae. The creature howled and cried, but could no longer move.

Fang's arms started glowing. I was able to tell, the spirits aided him. His swords were in motion again, and the first attacker's head rolled on the ground. This did not scare off the rest, already in the air, leaping towards us, three in the next wave at once.

"Move behind me!" The ogre yelled, taking point. He held out his massive shield and one of the monsters bounced back like those leather balls I've seen in Nateaser. The other got caught by Bastion's swing and heard its ribs shattering into a million pieces. He had one hefty mace...

The third one still got through. I expected them to attack Fang, he was the most dangerous in our group, but these monsters didn't know that. They went for the easy target instead, that just happened to be me.

The hellhound was multiple times my size and smelled of rot. I was easily knocked over, my buckler raised, but it couldn't break my neck at least. Its razor-sharp teeth wrapped over the iron shield, but the claws still bypassed it. One of them missed, the other plowing right into my face.

"Argh! My eye!" I cried out. It felt like the bastard had gouged out one of them. At the very least, half my vision suddenly went dark, but I had no time to take inventory. I grabbed my dagger and drove it into the guts of the beast. "Eat this. To the hilt."

It took all my strength, but I grabbed it with both hands and yanked the blade towards the head. It sliced his stomach wide open, the inner parts spilling out all over me, but it kept struggling. Fang had to help me finish it, and the next wave was already coming.

"You still good?" Was all the beastfolk asked, but I couldn't answer yet. Two more attackers were beaten back, but they got away with their lives now. I had difficulties seeing with my remaining eye, not to mention the bleeding, while covered in the innards.

There were at least a dozen more big dogs, and the Cerberus watched over them. I resisted the urge to throw up.

"I'll survive..." I claimed while they kept driving them back. I couldn't forget that the Nightmares were behind us too. They did not make a move yet but weren't helping either. "What's with the horses? Are they with us?"

"Are you still hallucinating?" Fang asked without looking back. "If not, I guess they are not against us at the very least."

Well, they could have made this fight difficult for sure. I wouldn't see with my remaining eye if I was still under their spell, but the hellhounds were enough to get us on their own. They weren't simple, dumb animals, they flanked us.

"Gomel, behind us to the left, the left." I warned the dwarf probably too late. I couldn't help it, my left eye was gone. While four of these black dogs attacked the ogre and the beastkin, two got behind us.

I stopped one with my buckler, and this time, I managed to stay on my feet. Gomel smashed his skull in with the shield. The edge was reinforced all around, too bad he didn't carry weapons. He seemed more than capable to assist us in the fight if he put his mind to it.