Lambert - Chapter Twenty Four

Cath was, let's just say... Upset.

Not what I'd expect after saving her life, but what I'd expect after stripping her in front of a monster. Even if it was just to her underwear, and it was necessary, these didn't cancel each other out.

"Lambert you pervert." She glared, holding her falchion. "And a coward too. Running away, then healing your enemy? And then giving him our food, just what were you thinking, you moron?"

"But I was hungry." The ogre noted, glancing back at her.

"Bastion was hungry," I confirmed, walking next to him.

"Shut up, you idiot!" She yelled, poking my back. That chunk of metal was surprisingly sharp. She used it to keep us both at arm's length. "What are we supposed to do now? His partners took the Princess."

"What did you expect from this suicidal plan?" I asked with newfound bravery. The kind you get after saving a life, or get backed by an ogre. It felt nice, to say what was on my mind for once. "I hate to break it to you, but the Elder wanted us dead. Who would send the three of us to fight an actual deity? It's the perfectly justified political assassination."

"Don't you dare to soil the Elder's name!" Cath demanded, waving her sword around. "She has no reason to do that. There were no resources to spare, but we had to deal with Alexandra fast."

"You are one of the Twelve Champions, right?" I asked the huge green creature, and he nodded. "How did you know where to find us?"

"A messenger with the Shaman's Seal told us." He shrugged, revealing it without hesitation. Didn't sound like a lie though. "The Demon Lord ordered the capture of the Princess as the only threat to him, that's all."

"And where's the rest of you?" Cath asked, still quite hostile. "I heard you're always deployed together... Or did you underestimate us?"

"I mean they pretty much won," I noted, barely audible. I could feel her stare burn a hole into my back. "Never mind, forget what I said."

"I know little, as I was passed out most of the time, but there was a storm..." He noted, pondering. "When I woke up, it was just the Captain, Fang and me. Then a strange thing came floating, and poof, we were here."

"What floating thing? And poof? From where?" She asked.

"Last thing I remember, we were approaching the Gates of Hell."

"The Goddess of Luck... The Princess felt her too." I speculated. "She teleported them. Is she working with the New Order now?"

"We met by chance... The Captain convinced her to help." He shook his head. "But I'm hungry now, can I get that thing from earlier?"

"Sure, we should set up camp soon anyway." I agreed and reached for my Bag of Holding. There was lots to talk about next to a good meal, but Cath poked me again with her sword.

"We're not stopping yet, and don't feed him all our food, you moron."

"His name is Bastion, and he saved your life," I noted, rubbing my shoulder. "This is no way to express your gratitude... And for me as well."

"Sure, who knows how many died by his hands?" She sounded angry.

"I never killed." The ogre claimed. "My name comes from my role. Bastion has to protect the others, we intended to take the Princess alive."

"You'll have to forgive me for not believing that." Cath fumed.

"As I said, he helped save your life. Answered all your questions too." I reminded her, but I could tell where she was coming from. "Maybe think for yourself once instead of repeating the dogmas of the Elder."