Chapter 3: Summoner's Thrift

"You know what Stanley?" Ford said as they welded an iron pipe together. "It really is strange how you insist on scamming the town, even after the twins are back home. You've already proven your engineering skills."

"Yeah, right. My engineering 'skills' consist of looking at my brother's notes and guessing what all the big words mean."

"Right." He'd never admit it, but Ford felt a pang of guilt for how he left his brother.

"And, well. You know. Gluing a walrus tusk on a beaver's head isn't too far from screwing a doohickey on this portal."

"Well, Stanley, if you do one of those wrong, you run the risk of blowing yourself up. The other, you might see a decrease in sales."

"What's the difference?" Stanley asked. Ford laughed, but Stanley looked up at him with a genuinely confused look before continuing his welding.

"This look good, Ford?"

"No, but we're out of time, so it'll have to make do. The shell looks good, by the way - Soos did a good job."

"Ah, crud," Stanley says, forgetting his handyman was even there. He looked up at the portal's currently dormant entrace, where Soos was using a heat gun and an ice pick to melt away the icicles. "Soos! You can go home now."

Soos removes his googles and looks down at him. "No disrespect, Mr. Pines, but I can't miss out on the opportunity to meet a mastermind in legal matters. He might be able to tell me what I should do about our washing machine that got installed backwards."

"What? How did...nevermind. Soos, you've been here for 16 hours."

"Really? Guess the cold really froze my sense of time. Heh heh." Soos climbs down from the ladder, and puts his tools back in his tool box. "Good night, brothers Pines." They hear elevator after a few moments.

"Isn't Soos here for 16 hours every day?"

"Can it, pointdexter. Let's make this guitar sing, what do you say?" Stanley clenches his gloved hand into a fist, a familiar glint of excitement in his eye.

"I say let's do it." Ford pretended to be stoic, only doing this because it was necessary - but a part of him was excited to return to his multiversal shenanigans, in a way.

They double check their tech, and without time to triple-check, they stay behind the safety glass, lock the door tight, and activate the portal. The symbols around the entrance flash, lasers emit from one end to the other, and a bright light emerges from the center.

18 HOURS UNTIL EVENT

"Darn it! I forgot about that. Now we've got to wait it out."

"What? No, we don't." Ford chuckles, and flips a few switches in a specific order. 

"Parental lock overridden. Event commencing imminently."

Stanley squinted. "Parental lock? For what?"

"I never told you? I was taking care of some newborn gnomes that were left abandoned by the shack before you visited. Those little guys can get rowdy."

An awkward silence follows, but it's broken by a strong wind pulling them in. "Wow. It's been too long...but I swore myself I wouldn't ever...but it's fine. For the sake of the shack. Right, Stanley?"

But his brother was already suited up and ready to go.

"Oh, no you don't."

"Oh, yes I do!"

"Stanley! You're not going in there."

"Yeah, and you think I'd let you go back after I lost you all those years. Nuh-uh, not a chance."