Chapter Six

Darius was a prince. A soon-to-be emperor. He was a soon-to-be emperor who had a deep hatred for a woman named Valeria Mercia. She was annoying, cold, vile, and a smartass who had a smart mouth. But she was so...intimidating to the point where even the crown prince himself was scared of her (sometimes). Soft face, hard eyes. It was the perfect (and only way) to describe Valeria.

As Darius held on to Valeria, he hoped that Valeria wouldn't lash out. With her, you could never tell what she would be plotting on next. He looked down at her. Those brown eyes, giving him a hard glare but somehow made him soft. They soaked him in, and he didn't resist. Yet again, he looked down at those soft lips of hers. They were bare, not a stain of lipstick on it. If he were to kiss her, nobody would know.

Darius couldn't deny how pretty she was. Of course, Diana was beautiful, but Valeria had a beauty of her own. The makeup she wore enhanced Valeria's beauty, but without it, she was somehow perfect.

He snapped out of his thoughts. "Valeria?" He asked, now realizing how long they've been staying in silence. His hands were still gripped tightly around her wrists.

"Please repeat what you said again." Valeria said. "I thought I heard that the king and queen of this country wanted to meet me."

"...they do."

Valeria stayed silent. "I do not want to play any games tonight, your highness."

"And I am not. They kept asking me about you." Darius said. "It wasn't like I could do anything about it. And besides, I think it could be beneficial--"

"Absolutely not! It is way too early, and may I remind you, your parents are the queen and king of this country! I--"

"My father and mother have become skeptical, I need to become king, and the whole country is talking about us. I'm afraid that you have no choice, Valeria." He finally lets go of Valeria's wrists, leaning back. Not feeling the warmth of her body made him want to be in her embrace. He didn't know what the hell was wrong with him.

"Do I honestly not have a say in this matter?" Valeria asks.

"Fortunately, no." Darius says. "I need you to arrive at my castle by six. I would prefer it if you are on time." Darius looks at Valeria who is staying silent, and takes this as a sign to continue. "It should take no more than two or three hours. You can survive being my fiance for that long, yes?"

"If it does not kill me. And am I not technically your fiance otherwise?"

Darius nods. "Yes, sadly."

"I thought you were the one who initiated this plan." Valeria says.

"I did, but I thought you would be more cooperative."

"You have known me for so long, yet you know so little. In fact, I would be surprised if you knew my favorite color."

"Dark red, like the color of blood. Try again." Darius says.

Valeria was surprised indeed. "Favorite thing to eat."

"Cupcakes. Red velvet with chocolate chips."

Valeria scoffs. "Hobbies."

"Reading." Darius answers. "And thinking about Edmund."

"Favorite book."

"You don't have one. As long as the book makes you forget about the duties you have, you like it."

And it was true. When Darius came to visit Edmund when they were younger, he would always catch Valeria reading on the porch.

Sunny. Breezy. The perfect weather to go dueling with Edmund. Darius steps out of his carriage, immediately running off as his right hand man would call out for him.