ThirtyOne

And now I'm picking up the pieces

And spending all of these years

Putting my heart back together

"Congratulations you two," Bobby smiled at the pair.

"It's a beautiful ring," Athena smiled as she held Eleanor's hand and admired the sparkling ring.

The pair smiled back, "Thank you again for hosting at your house. We really appreciate it." Buck nodded in agreement as he shoved more food in his mouth.

"Anytime, Athena loves to host." Bobby smiled at his wife. Karen grabbed Eleanor's hand next to inspect the ring.

"Oh my god, this is gorgeous." Karen's eyes widened as she held Eleanor's hand in hers. "Is there a special meaning? Like for the color."

Buck shook his head. "Just stood out. It felt like the right one. Christopher actually picked it first." Hen, Karen, and Athena looked toward Christopher and awed. 

"Do you guys have a date set?" Hen asked. Buck and Eleanor shook their heads. "A place in mind?" They shook their heads again.

"I would offer but our backyard is a little small for a wedding," Athena said making them all laugh in response. 

"I was thinking.." Eleanor and Buck spoke at the same time. They looked at each other and smiled expecting the same end. Buck finished with, "Inside." And Eleanor said, "Outside." 

"Still some discussing on details. Don't worry, it'll all come together quicker than you think."

They chatted for a little longer before dispersing into smaller groups of conversation. Buck ended up at the food table for the tenth time since the party started. Eleanor stood off to the side, looking around at the group of people she now called family.

"Enjoying the party?" Eddie asked as he came up beside Eleanor.

She turned and smiled up at him. "Just thinking about how a few months ago I had nobody and now.. this. I never imagined my life like this."

"I get that. In my experience life usually never turns out the way we think it will."

"That's true. Sometimes it's for the better though."

I'm glad you got a better chance at life. You deserve it, Eleanor." The pair smiled at each other. 

"Hey," Buck joined them, giving Eddie a quick hug. "I gotta ask you something." Eddie looked at Buck, then Eleanor, and back to Buck. "Will you be my best man?"

Eddie's face lit up. "Of course man. What kind of question is that? You know I'll do it." The boys smiled and hugged each other again. "What about you? Who's gonna be your maid of honor?"

Eleanor shrugged. "I haven't really thought about it yet."

"Are you guys gonna go all out, big fairytale wedding? Or just something small?"

"My parents want something big and they've offered to help. I'm leaving most of it up to El though. Whatever she wants she can have. I just want her to be happy." Eleanor's face turned as red as an apple as she smiled at Buck.

"You keep that mentality and you'll be just fine," they all shared a laugh.

****

Eleanor leaned against the counter and watched as Buck put away the leftovers from the party. After he finished putting everything away he walked over to Eleanor. She grabbed the flaps of his jacket and pulled him toward her. He planted his hands on the counter behind her and leaned in slightly.

"I love you," Buck whispered against Eleanor's lips. She smiled up at him.

"I love you," she closed the space between their lips. "Buck," he pulled back a little. "I don't want anything huge and fancy."

"That's fine. I told you, whatever you want."

"I know but I don't want it to be all about me. I want you to make decisions too."

"Okay. Small and intimate then."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. You may have to convince my mother," Buck and Eleanor laughed. "But I'm okay with it. I think I may know a place too."

"Do you think Maddie would be my maid of honor? I know we've had some ups and downs.."

"That's what friendships are all about. I think she'd love to, she'd be thrilled if you asked."

"Can we also agree on a close date? Planning a wedding for a year sounds excruciating. I don't wanna show like I'm rushing anything because I'm not."

"No, I agree. How about.. tonight may be too soon, huh?" The pair shared another laugh. "Three months?" Eleanor nodded in agreement. "I can't wait to call you Mrs. Buckley." Buck's smile grew but only a few seconds later fell flat. "You are taking my name, right? We never talked about it."

"Yes, definitely. I am taking your last name."

Buck's smile returned. "I like the sound of that. Eleanor Buckley."

"Sounds better than what I have now," Eleanor sighed. She knew erasing her past wasn't as easy and simple as a name change but in her mind, it made a huge difference. She wasn't that person anymore. She wasn't Eleanor Blair, Jason and Elizabeth Blair's daughter. She wasn't Eleanor Blair, Michael Spencer's fiance. She's a different person in the sense that she can be herself now, she's still the same as she's always been at heart. Now she can be confident and comfortable with who she is. 

A/N: In honor of my birthday today, here's a new chapter. I know it's a little short but I wanted to get something out. The last month of school has really kicked my butt but the semester is over now so hopefully I can get back to a regular update schedule. :)