Fourteen

I'm thinking that all that still matters is love ever after

After the life we've been through 

Buck followed Eleanor as she paraded happily through the Christmas aisles. Smiling ear to ear, she was like a child. Her eyes grew at the sight of all the lights and blowup decorations. She was in awe and Buck was just happy to see her happy. Eleanor gave him a big smile as she put some ornaments in the cart. "Which ones?" she held up two boxes of lights.

"Those ones," Buck pointed to the ones with little candy canes adorning it. 

She put them in the cart and continued down the aisle to the garland. After making their way through all the aisles they headed to checkout with a cart full of Christmas decor and baking supplies. Eleanor was determined to make this a very merry Christmas. 

Eleanor was quick to get started as soon as they arrived home. She unpacked all the bags and had things spread across the living room floor. Buck had already gotten a tree a few days ago so Eleanor was eager to decorate. She started sorting decor, deciding what to put where and how exactly she wanted to decorate the tree. Buck smiled at her as he watched from the kitchen, the pure joy on her face was the only gift he needed. He grabbed the hot chocolate he had made and walked carefully to the living room. He set the mugs on the table and joined Eleanor on the floor.

"Marshmallows?" Buck nodded. "I have no clue what I'm doing."

"What do you mean? Looks like you're doing pretty good."

"I've never decorated a tree before.." 

"Really? Not even once?" Eleanor shook her head. Buck just looked around at the decorations, he didn't know what to say to that. He never realized all the things he'd taken for granted until he met Eleanor. Most of these things seemed like simple, normal things that everybody did but to her, they were major because she'd never experienced it. 

"My father hated holidays so I never celebrated as a child. With Michael, he was always out at some corporate event so we never did anything either."

"Well, let's change that," Buck smiled at her before reaching for the lights, her face lit up. He took them out of the box and unrolled the strand. Buck held one side while Eleanor took the other side. Buck held his end at the top of the tree. "Spin," Buck and Eleanor laughed as she spun around the tree, getting tangled here and there and trying not to knock Buck over as she passed him.

"I need another strand." Eleanor fixed the lights a little while Buck grabbed another box. They connected the strands and finished wrapping the tree. Eleanor added a strand of garland before they started adding ornaments. "Here," Eleanor handed Buck the star. They stood back and admired their work.

"I think it looks amazing." Eleanor leaned her head against Buck's arm. He smiled down at her. "What's next?"

"Food." 

"Chinese?" Eleanor nodded excitedly. "I'll go order."

"Buck, can you add an extra egg roll please." Buck nodded and headed for the menu on the fridge. While he ordered the food Eleanor continued on her decorating spree. She left the lights and garland around the windows for Buck since he was taller. She stuck some window clings in the corners of the windows and put a couple of small decorations on the door along with a bell which Buck had protested against at first but Eleanor got her way. By the time the food arrived, Eleanor had fully decked the whole apartment.