|7|"You can't be serious"

Start from the beginning

"And you getting attacked by one means you might be one as well," August added.

"In the Council's mind, at least. The Council is currently on a mission to erase all Black shucks from Menopolix."

"The other protectors and me have been heavily requested to eliminate them," August concluded with a dark glint in his eyes. "And we will succeed."

I gulped, taking in all the knowledge they just gave me.

"But I don't understand. If you guys don't think that I'm a black shuck, why would "The Council" believe otherwise?"

August looked up at me. "Because of the uncertainty. They won't be able to say that you're a black shuck, but they also won't be able to say that you aren't one. And it's enough for them; they don't need more reasons to eliminate you. It's all about keeping our existence unrevealed."

"Was it a love story gone wrong? You owed them money, you stole their mate? It doesn't matter to them. If they see two black shucks fighting, they'll want to eliminate them both. You having a black shuck tracking you means that you could be a potential threat for the community, and The Council doesn't like it."

"And technically, as a Protector, I should report these three incidents to The Council. We are obligated to tell them if anything unusual happens in the South." August stared at me, a hard look in his eyes.

I frowned. Third incident. What was he talking about? "What is the third incident?"

"You seeing the fairy. You weren't supposed to see her because she wasn't in hiding mode. This is enough for them to condemn you."

This can't be happening, this just can't be happening.

I started pacing in the room, crossing my hands behind my back. "So... What you guys are saying is that if I don't marry August in the next few hours, a random group of elders from another magic universe will send people tracking my ass to kill me because they think I'm some evil giant dog who wants to stir trouble in your magic little world?"

They both nodded. "That's pretty much it."

My mind started racing with contradicting thoughts, as I was completely lost and confused.

"This can't be my life right now."

Jai stood up off the couch and faced me. "I know this is a lot for you to bear, Love. So many things have been happening these past few days, and I honestly feel bad that you have to go through all of this."

I raised my eyes on her, as they filled themselves with water. "Why did you never tell me? I'm your best friend, Jai. You hid this from me all of those years."

"I know. I'm so sorry." Her eyes started watering as well.

"Ehmm," August cleared his throat. "I'll be waiting for you ladies outside of the Isolator. Jai, let me know when you girls are ready to go."

Jai nodded and August left us. I felt a little pinch in my stomach as I saw him leaving, but Jai and I needed to talk.

She took me in her arms and gave me a warm hug. "I'm sorry for hiding this from you all this time. Girl, I was in deep shit, I didn't know what to do. The Council forbids every enchanted being from revealing our identity to humans. And I didn't want to put you in danger."

I broke away from her embrace. "So, when you were telling me you couldn't do more activities and stuff after school, did it have something to do with this?"

"Yes. I was at the District. My mom is a Dryad by nature as well, but my dad isn't. He's human; this is why we're all currently living in Menopolix. My mom had to give up her powers so she could live with the love of her life without having The Council on her butt. This is the only way an enchanted being can be with a human."