Chapter Thirteen: In the Spirit of Service

HOLY SHIT.

I am so sorry this took way longer than I had initially expected.

Several things happened between now and August when I had last updated this story. It didn't help that this chapter was tricky to write because of many factors. Namely, that is another original chapter that wasn't covered by canon. But I can assure you that the next chapter should be much quicker to write as we will be covering more canonical-based events.

That being said, I do still find this chapter to be essential for the things to come in the future of this story.

------------------------------------------------------

In Another World With My Smartphone: The Lost Hero

Chapter Thirteen: In the Spirit of Service

------------------------------------------------------

"The spirit of service is the heart of humanity."

Lailah Gifty Akita

------------------------------------------------------

Linze Silhoueska awoke early that summer morning, which she typically did to get an early start to the day. Unfortunately, she awoke to the painful moans and groans of her elder sister, who was still lying in her bed, clutching her stomach. Linze quickly leaped out of bed to tend to her sister. She already knew what was likely wrong with her, though not much could be done until it passed except to help her move around and fetch anything she needed.

"How are you doing, sis?" Linze asked as she checked her sister's forehead, ensuring it wasn't an illness.

"J-j-just p-peachy..."Elze answered with an embarrassed groan before taking a sharp breath. "The pain started about an hour ago...damn it...should have known this was coming after your time passed."

"It always seemed that way, huh?" Linze followed with a nervous laugh as she checked her sister's sheets and quickly found blood. Typically, ordinary people would have found such a scene terrifying. However, for the twins, it was simply routine for the last few years, a sign of becoming a woman, their aunt had once said when their times came upon reaching adolescence. Unfortunately for Elze, her time always seemed to be a little more random and much more painful when compared to her younger sister.

"Damn it...and on the day Alex promised to take us to the Capital guild hall..." Elze followed up with an annoyed whine as Linze quickly got to work to help her sister up from bed. Her pride as the elder sister took a massive blow every time this happened as she simply leaned against the wall while Linze worked quickly to change her bed sheets. "Why did it have to come now?!"

"Better now than if we were in the middle of a job," Linze gently reassured her sister as she finished changing the sheets; having lots of practice made the process pretty damn quick. "Do you want me to prep a bath and get you breakfast?"

"That sounds good," said Elze with a weak smile before realizing something important. "What should we do about Alex and Yae?"

"We'll just tell them that you're feeling under the weather," Linze answered calmly.

'Knowing Alex, he'll want to check up on me,' Elze thought as her face turned a deep shade of red. The last thing she wanted was for Alex to find out about this. Experience with her uncle and her male cousins back on the farm regarding this topic was always uncomfortable. It often made her feel shame for something she had no control over.