Chapter Three: Two sides of the same coin

Welcome back, my dear readers!

I don't have much to say, except this is where we will start to see some significant deviations from the canonical story.

This is also the final chapter that encompasses the first episode of the anime. The next chapter will roughly be all new content with a lead-up to the start of the events of the second episode. Between giving Alex some breathing room, I've also started expanding on the girls to be more than just the MC's cheerleaders.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

In Another World With My Smartphone: The Lost Hero

Chapter Three: Two sides of the same coin

--------------------------------------------------------------------

"But love and pain are two sides of the same coin. You can't have one without the other. Sometimes that's how we know we're alive."

-Alex George, Setting Free the Kites

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Alex found himself sitting in front of a dying campfire, surrounded by a thick mist of shadow. He couldn't remember how he got here. Yet, he instinctively knew this wasn't a safe place as from the corners of his eyes, he could see shadows of nightmarish figures trying to reach out to him. With only the tiny sparks of the flame keeping them all at bay.

Embers of the warmth that seemed to keep his very soul from growing cold.

An icy fear gripped the young man's heart as he watched the embers continue to die out, making Alex scramble to keep it going. He started by gently blowing into the flames and trying to pile the tiniest bits of tinder he could muster to fuel the dying pyre. No matter what he did, the fire continued to shrink, and the darkness drew ever closer.

"Pathetic," spoke a familiar voice in a disgusted tone. "Is this really what you've become? A weak, worthless shell of your former self?"

Alex kept his head down, focused on fueling the flames and trying to ignore the voice that drew closer. The mists of shadow began to whip and swirl as though powered by a hurricane, making the young man crouch down, using his arms to shield the fire from the violent winds. Every single instinct told the young American to protect the flame.

Keep the flame or lose yourself to the darkness.

Alex continued to his work, trying to feed the fire and keep whatever warmth and comfort it provided. Refusing to look back, Alex could almost feel the dark mist getting closer while caresses could be felt on his back. Yet, they were far from comforting or enticing; no, they felt sharp and painful as though icy claws raked into his flesh.

"I shouldn't be surprised," the voice spoke again, this time in a more haughty and taunting tone. Alex could see a pair of pale feet right in front of him. Feeling a surge to fight back, Alex glared at this unknown adversary, only to see a tall shadow with a pair of glowing blue eyes staring at him as though it was grinning. "Once a loser, always a loser! The only reason you're here is because the Old Man felt sorry for you! You know don't belong here..."

The shadow extended a hand toward the young man.

"I know your desires, my dear interloper," the Shadow said mockingly. "Your desire to right the wrongs! To quench your thirst with the taste of vengeance! You don't know it yet, but your truest potential has been unlocked! Allow me to show you the way! The truth so you can become the mightiest being in existence! One strong enough to return to your home, where you truly belong! One to go beyond even All Might! Villains would tremble in your very presence, and the people's love will soon follow."