Epilogue, Part One: Christmas

Magsimula sa umpisa

After a moment, Jonah nudges her by saying, "You can pick them up, Jess. Just be careful."

"They're so beautiful," Jessie cries, her voice barely a whisper.

"You can name them, Jess-bug," Amber adds, and Jessie starts crying more. Willow approaches the girl, crouching down next to her with a gentle hand on her older sister's back.

"Do you want a minute?" Todd asks, using the same tone he would with an adult. Jessie nods in response, and the man assumes his role of carrying out the girl's with. "Alright everybody, come into the kitchen. We'll eat breakfast then open gifts."

Jonah and I shed the blanket that was on top of us and herd all the girls— aside from Jessie and Willow (whom Jessie requested company with)— into the kitchen. They are all seated at the table in seconds, and Amber begins serving cinnamon rolls and eggs and bacon. Todd pours hot chocolate and asks each individual if they want whipped cream and marshmallows and if they want regular, colored, or chocolate marshmallows. Working together, the duo gets everyone served in a matter of minutes, including themselves, and we all sit down at the table.

While we eat, I take a moment to think about the meals I've had since I started staying here. I've had breakfasts made with love and lots of spices foreign to me. I've had lunches catered by Kaylen or hand-made by Jonah and me for the girls when we babysit them. I've had dinners around this table surrounded by people who hug me good night and consider me— at least for now— a part of their family. I've had warm, filling meals. The first I've had in a while beyond what I ate on our little road trip.

I've been on my own for a while now. Like I mentioned forever ago, I've been renting my house for a short about of time. And before that, I didn't have a house.

I lived with my mother until I was fourteen. Then, due to family issues, I went to live with my grandmother until I was eighteen. I got kicked out because, as my grandmother put it, I needed therapy and neither of us could pay for it, so she decided to take the next best option and remove the responsibility from herself. I lived on friends' couches for two years until all my friends moved away. My grandmother took me back in after I turned twenty, but that was only for a year. I was completely on my own for two years after she kicked me out again, and then I found my way into Annabeth's basement for a few months. After I left hers, I was on my own again.

I haven't been in a house that I felt at home in since I was fourteen. I'm twenty-four now, and to say I miss these kinds of meals surrounded by family would be a monumental lie.

I wish it didn't have to end, but we all know it has to. Again, I'm twenty-four. I can't rely on a family of eight living in a four-bedroom house. Eventually I'm going to have to go back to my house, and while I will have heat when I do go, I'll be missing this so much I think the heat might not matter that much anymore.

Once we're finished eating— and after waiting for Jessie and Willow to finish eating— we head back into the living room and all the girls start going at their presents. Jonah, Amber, Todd, and I sit back and let them have their time, ripping open wrapping paper and squealing with excitement the moment they see the boxes underneath.

About halfway through the digging, the phone starts to ring and Jonah offers to go get it. He climbs out from under the blanket and tosses the rest onto me, which I welcome with open arms.

I'm wearing a new hoodie, one I bought with my own money from the jobs I now work.

Yes. Jobs. With an 's'.

Kaylen did, in fact, save our jobs at the pet store and she put a really good word in for me at the diner her tattoo parlor shares a building with. Now I work at the pet shop in the afternoons from Tuesday to Friday, like before. But I now also work at the diner from breakfast to late-lunch time on the weekends and on Mondays. The best part is I make more than minimum wage. I won't do the math, I've done it too many times with Kaylen by my side, but I know I'm going to be okay.